Copeland 6D compressor oil plug

Wanting to know if you can screw an angle valve into the oil plug hole for clean up oil changes on a 6D compressor. I heard you can drill and tap the original oil plug but was wondering if anyone has put an angle valve in these.

1/4" mpt
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

griz, here is a little tip so you do not create a oil mess when you remove the 1/4 mpt plug.
    1. Put your gauges on service valves
    2. Front seat suction service valve push in contactor and pump down compressor cavity. Right before you go to zero open contactor.and front seat discharge service valve.
    3. hook up your vacumm pump and pull compressor cavity into a negative, have your angle valve ready with thread sealer,(Loctite 567 my choice)
    4 Remove oil drain plug, vac. pump running will keep oil in compressor so you can install angle valve...Hope this helps Good luck!!

Thanks, I am waiting on the new compressor to come in to replace the shorted to ground one. I will install the valve before it goes in. I guess I am a little surprised when you say 1/4 mpt since the plug is very large, like it takes maybe a 7/8" wrench to remove plug. I guess it has a small hole.

Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    Thanks, I am waiting on the new compressor to come in to replace the shorted to ground one. I will install the valve before it goes in. I guess I am a little surprised when you say 1/4 mpt since the plug is very large, like it takes maybe a 7/8" wrench to remove plug. I guess it has a small hole.

No you need an adapter

Kevin
    "There are 10 types of people in the world.. those who understand binary, and those who don't."

I think this would be better for draining the oil in the crankcase...It goes on the side of the comp. usually where the oil crankcase cap tube would go...and can be left on for future use.
    Henry makes it...it can be bought at United Refrig.
    keep in mind though you can always put a hose at the 1/4 flare connection at the pump...turn the comp. on and pump it out.(don't forget to close the oil line) you have aprox. 2 mins. before it fails on oil.
    Attached Images Attached Images