Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amana vs. Trane

Post Likes

Amana vs. Trane

We are looking for a 2 ton heat pump replacement in the Washington, DC area (temperate climate). Have gotten prices for an Amana ASZ14 with an ASPF313 air handler rated at 15 SEER and 8.5 HSPF anid a Trane XL16I with a 4TEE3F31 air handler system rated at 16 SEER 8.5 HSPF.
    Price for both systems are similar so I need recommendations on which brand is better. Can any one out there help me? Thanks in advance.

Post Likes
    I like Trane but the installer is more important

Post Likes
    i like trane as well. we also serve the dc area. amana has a fail/replace whole unit warranty. which trane doesnt. but if installed PROPERLY the unit shouldnt fail in 10 years anyways. unless of course u dont change filters

Post Likes
    If a Trane 16i is similar in price to the Amana, I would worry about the Trane installation. And go with Amana.

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by jicaza74 View Post
    We are looking for a 2 ton heat pump replacement in the Washington, DC area (temperate climate). Have gotten prices for an Amana ASZ14 with an ASPF313 air handler rated at 15 SEER and 8.5 HSPF anid a Trane XL16I with a 4TEE3F31 air handler system rated at 16 SEER 8.5 HSPF.
    Price for both systems are similar so I need recommendations on which brand is better. Can any one out there help me? Thanks in advance.
    Trane is quality system, but larger equipment size, Amana equipment is good and smaller in size and has good warranty

BUT, it's hard to stop a T R A N E !
    'Life begins with the journey each day'

Post Likes
    jicaza

for the washington, dc area, I would not purchase a HP that did not have electronic demand defrost.

For heating efficiency, that is not the best matching air handler for the two ton XL16i.

In fact since this is only a two ton, I would look at Trane's sgl stg mdls XL15i and XR15 HP condensers.

these are my minimum specs for a new HP system. both outside and inside units should be replaced to have a properly matched system.

15 SEER, 12.5+ EER, 9 HSPF
    best matching VS air handler
    full BTUs in both cooling and heating for your rated size
    R-410a refrigerant(same as Puron)
    scroll compressor preferred
    electronic demand defrost preferred
    thermostat with "dehumidify on demand" feature
    staged backup heat strips
    new and correctly sized refrigerant lineset

you want a thorough inspection of your ductwork system. size, overall condition, supply and return lines, insulation qualities, leak test, etc.

any hot/cold spot issues in your home should be addressed.

I would only use authorized dealers for the various brands that provide quotes. see mfg websites.

I would look at Trane/AmStd,Rheem/Rudd,Carrier/Bryant.

IMO

Post Likes

Trane Vs Amana

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If a Trane 16i is similar in price to the Amana, I would worry about the Trane installation. And go with Amana.
    ....Beenthere has gone to the dark side .....
    My avatar is a picture of a Goodman Silencer .....These were commonly used in Goodman country ....Photos by hvac tech ( PaysonHVAC )

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bob hubbard View Post
    Twilly says you got that right....you can dress a goodman up but its still a goodman
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    You can't assume anything based on the price. Get references. The Trane guy could just simply be hungry for work and/or have better controlled overhead.....and by that same token, the Amana dealer might be trying to score a week's wages off of one job.

That being said, using the same multipliers, our American Standard systems generally wind up selling for around a grand per system higher than our Tappan systems, if you're looking to compare on pricing.
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Post Likes
    Does make ya wonder why a single stage Amana is priced like a 2 stage Choo Choo. Either Mr Amana is pricey or Mr Trane is cheap or doing less.

It may be a dressed up Gooman but the Amana is still a nice unit. High & low pressure switches hooked up to a Copeland Comfort Alert module. 2 speed fan, sound deadening top. Not too bad compared to some.

Post Likes
    Twilly says To TigerDunes???? Who ain't an authorized goodman dealer?
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Didn't know there was such a thing as authorized Goodman dealer? Around here anyone with an EPA card can buy them although the biggest supplier of them has clamped down.

Post Likes
    not including any Goodman dealers...how many are there?...

Post Likes
    Install being equal I say Amana.
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bob hubbard View Post
    LOL... A 2 stage Trane, at a price comparable to an Amana/Goodman single stage, some corners are being cut somewhere with the Trane install.

Post Likes
    You may want to look @ Whirlpool's Gold WGHP48 18,16 & 14 SEER series HP's, as their warr is comparable to Amana's w/ LFT replacement on the condensing unit and may be less $. It too is mfrd by Goodman.

http://www.whirlpoolhvac.com/products/heat_pumps

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseRx View Post
    You may want to look @ Whirlpool's Gold WGHP48 18,16 & 14 SEER series HP's, as their warr is comparable to Amana's w/ LFT replacement on the condensing unit and may be less $. It too is mfrd by Goodman.

http://www.whirlpoolhvac.com/products/heat_pumps
    Where did you get the info that this HP is manufactured by Goodman? There's nothing on the Goodman or Whirlpool sites to indicate that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HPGui View Post
    Where did you get the info that this HP is manufactured by Goodman? There's nothing on the Goodman or Whirlpool sites to indicate that.
    Because anyone thats remotely familure with goodman, can pick a goodman out of a lineup. Even if it's wearing a fake mustash.

It's a goodman.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    Because anyone thats remotely familure with goodman, can pick a goodman out of a lineup. Even if it's wearing a fake mustash.

It's a goodman.
    Oh yeah, and because they used the same pictures in their install manual, as with the goodman install manual. :-P
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes

trane..........

in my opinon the trane units are way more reliable compared to goodman or amana. i think trane is one of the best systems you can buy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in