First months results
    Well, I have posted a few times and gotten some good info from the pros here. Just thought I would post the results of the first months utilities. I have read some threads here where peoples bills have seemed out of whack after having new systems installed. On the surface, mine doesnt look like I have had any savings, but actually, I think I have seen a substantial reduction in cost. Here it goes:

July 04: 30+ year old Amanna 2 1/2 ton - 1133 kw used @ 72 degree avg. temp. Thermostat kept @ 78 degrees. Not real comfortable.

July 05: New Tempstar TCA230 w/ EXM36 coil and T9MPD Furnace - 1136 kw used @ 79 degree avg. temp. Thermostat kept at 75 degrees. Felt downright chilly at times.

I have also put in new windows and added insulation in the walls and attic, so its hard to determine exactly what the savings are. But when you factor in the huge swing in temp this yr vs. last, plus the fact that I could get the house to 75 degrees (old unit just couldnt get under 78, tired I guess)

My point here is that as homeowners, we need to look a little deeper than just the bill we get every month. I wish I could quantify the results down to a percentage, to be able to calculate some kind of Return on Investment. I think there are too many variables.

savings

Here in the mid west when you spend and extra 500 on a higher seer the payback is sometimes 10 years . Since most people move in 5-10 years , You may get your investment back when resell your house and not in energy saving . This all depends on how much you spend ( on extra stuff ) if you finance or pay cash . It all figures in and is usually long term . bh
    My avatar is a picture of a Goodman Silencer .....These were commonly used in Goodman country ....Photos by hvac tech ( PaysonHVAC )

redcell - did you service your Amana regularly. I ask because I have an ARHF30 series (see my other post) and I'm wondering how much longer it might run. It's about 15 years old.

That old Amanna was here when we moved in 6 yrs ago. I had only annual maintenance done on it. The last 2 the techs kept commenting on the pressures being WAYYY high. This year it wouldnt cool at all so I opted to replace it rather than repair. Have no real clue as to age (Carbon dating may have helped) but ALL of the HVAC companies that I had bid on the job agreed that it was every bit of 30 yrs old. The Furnace was HUGE and heavy. The comments I heard were in regards to the fact that they were from the era when Amanna was actually Amanna and made some really good Furnaces and AC units. I think Goodman or some other company bought the Amanna brand some years ago. All of my efforts to look up the old model #s turned up nothing. Did find some documentation for the old unit that was dated 1969.

your numbers do not mean much without relationship to Degree Days! our DD were MUCH less this year --

in fact, computing btu/DD/sf would be most meaningful --

one can go online here & get 15 months of such info from Huntsville Utilities -- & they quote DD ea month --

my house was built in 1974 -- my a/c is 1.6- 1.75 btu/DD/sf for a 2133sf trilevel for 30 da ending 7/20.

K...

July 2004: 254 cooling degree days 1133 kwh used

July 2005: 388 cooling degree days 1136 kwh used

2 1/2 ton AC with a 3 ton coil

1459 sq foot ranch

If Im following right...thats like 25-30% net REDUCTION in kwh used then???

sounds like you have a nice system that will pay for itself shortly.