Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I live in a townhome with a 2 stage system - a heat pump outside and then my recycler inside with the coils. I have an old manual thermostat to use and I wanted to upgrade to a digital thermostat. So how do I know what type of thermostat to get? Is there one specifically for a 2 stage systeam. My thermostat now is a White-Rodgers and the inside says : 2 stage Heat / 1 Cool, HTG. 1.0 Amps Max, CLG. 1.5 amps Max, Max. 30 volsts A.C. , Type 1F58W-58. thanks for the help!

You need one that specifically says 2 stage heat pump. Might look at Lowes for the Vision series from Honeywell. Avoid the cheap units, avoid Hunter!

I like my new Climatouch.....

Dont think you can get them at Home Depot, etc tho.

Thanks for the advice - Where can i get them - Should i look on Ebay or somewhere else?

I would check with your service company, Im sure they can get them. They could also provide you with more options Im sure.

I sure like my digital programmable t-stat, which has about 5 different settings per each of 7 da -- changed out 2y/o one which had 5 da + weekend --

My first foray into an electronic thermostat was a "Lux" from Home Cheapo that had received a good rating from Consumer Reports.

Pros:
    1) It was really easy to program.
    2) It did exactly what it was supposed to do.

Cons:
    1) No control over cycling, and minimum temp resolution of 1 degree. That means it wouldn't turn on cooling until 1 degree over, and wouldn't shut off until 1 degree under.
    2) The thing only lasted a couple of years before the mode dial started going flaky on me.
    3) You had to keep the setback pretty low because of having to figure out the recovery time on your own.

When I had my system replaced, the installer put in a HoneyWell VisionPro. It rocks! (Trane also OEM's this stat.) You cannot buy this stat retail. (Well, I suppose you could get it off of Ebay, but you would be on your own if you had trouble getting it to work. Not a good idea, esp. with a heat pump stat.)

Pros:
    1) Still easy to program.
    2) Looks really cool.
    3) Once it hits the target temp, it NEVER budges. It can regulate the temp so closely because they let you set a cycle count per hour, and from there it figures out how tightly it can control the temp without killing your equipment.
    4) "Adaptive Recovery". Looks at how long setback recovery took previously, and activates the system at an appropriate time, so it reaches the right temp AT the schedule time, instead of an unknown amount of time after.

Cons:
    1) Not cheap. I don't know exactly how much it was, but it was more than the $20 the Lux cost me. I feel it was worth it.
    2) If you get the humidity sensing model, it won't "adapt" if you have it set for humidity control. (Just found this out in another thread.)

As others have said, whichever one you choose, make sure it is a heat pump stat.

SirWired

I got the HONEYWELL RTH7400D 5-1-1 DAY PROGRAMMABLE THERMOSTAT. Is this a good thermostat? Any opinions?

i like the vision pro , very user friendly and only about 85 bucks.

Recently had a Trane XL803- TCONT803 installed
    (has humidistat)
    (Honeywell VisionPro TH8321U1006)?

Wife loves it.

I don't think you can buy one at the usual retail outlets,
    but it's worth having one installed by a pro.

[Edited by rufus on 08-08-2005 at 03:17 AM]

The vision pro 8000 can only handle 1heat/1 Cool correct? I did end up getting HONEYWELL RTH7400D 5-1-1 DAY PROGRAMMABLE THERMOSTAT. This is ok for my application?

There's a Honeywell TH8321U1006 on my wall here and a White-Rogers F95 at the other place. The F95 gives you a little more control over things, but I find the Honeywell seems to give a more consistent temperature. Programming the Honeywell VisionPro is also much easier. There's still a ton of things I wish were different about it, but until I find something better, the VisionPro's staying on the wall.

I am going to replace this myself - Any tips? Should i label the wires when i disconnect my manual T-stat? I also know to shut off power when i am about to begin....Will the new T-stat match up to the old wires or will the labeling be completely different?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast