Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP

Can someone please HELP?
    The electric in my house went off suddenly and came right back on.
    I then notice the outside unit(add on air to fuel oil furnace)wasn't working.
    I change the long fuses on the outside disconnect box and made sure breaker in house was working. The points will click on unit but no compressor or outside fan, inside blower is working.
    My question is could it be the capacitor? There is a rather large on with 3 wires hooked to it and a small on above it with 2 wires hooked to it.
    Is ther any way to tell if they are bad? And does any one know a price range for them? Thanks in advance any help would be appreciated

You can test them with proper equiptment, but you might be able to tell by looking at it. Those capacitors sometimes pop out on the top following a traumatic experience and when that happens, outdoor unit does not run. Price ranges will not be discussed on this forum due to site rules and common courtesy to other companies in totally different markets.

I didn't see any evidence of "tramatic experience" cap looked normal, would the cap being bad cause the outside fan as well as the compressor not to run? Sorry about the pricing question, just wanting to know if I should expect to dig into the grocery money!!!!

You said it had 3 wires going to it and I am assuming that it is a dual run capacitor that powers both the ran and compressor. If you do not see any physical damage, the system will need to be diagnosed and a service call is in order. You might try turning the A/C breaker all of the way off and then back on again. Sometimes they can look like they are on, but will actually be tripped. The "points" sounds like the contactor---This is a low voltage device--Double check that breaker.

Janet he is right, I learned that the contactor is pulled down by a 24 volt A/C wire and makes a clicking noise.
    It could be a tripped breaker, last unit I saw that happened to I called my tech friend and he told me the same thing that the gentlemen just said and sure enough it was just the breaker.

If you have a multi meter check for 120v on the white and black on the contactor. If you have 120v through the contactor and it won't turn on then call a service technician.

You are looking for 240 volts ac at the contactor, but don't try to test this unless you are well versed with a meter.

No fan or compressor? No power to unit...Check that breaker again.
    If you can't push; pull... If you can't pull; GET OUT OF THE WAY!!

Janet1,

Call a contractor, you need one, so you don't hurt yourself, or burn your house down.

Not to be insulting but, don't listen to diego, he isn't even close.
    You don't check for 120 volts on a 240 volt system!!!

It may be something simple, or or not, we can't tell you for sure from our chairs.

Good Luck.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

for 45y, I checked for voltage from phase to neutral, as well as from ph to phase, ph- ground, neu- gn!! sure helped troubleshooting

Originally posted by cem-bsee
    for 45y, I checked for voltage from phase to neutral, as well as from ph to phase, ph- ground, neu- gn!! sure helped troubleshooting
    That is a good idea that way if your getting a lower voltage on one leg of the 240 you will know which leg is faulty, just checking 240 across the contactor will not determine that.
    I think I said that right, I am on my first cup of coffee.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

if contactor pulled in, and you have 230 volts to both sides of contactor and fan or compressor is not coming on, then replace capacitor.

OR....a manually resettable pressure switch has popped
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Janet1

Welcome to the site.

As you will see, the other 4 of your threads have been deleted. This is due to a site violation. 1 subject, 1 thread.

I trust you have use the post thread button to reply to others here. Please use the reply post button instead.

Thank you for your cooperation.

lusker
    HVAC-Talk Site Associate.

Forum Rules

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast