Thread: poor bastard

Talking

new guy a our company goes to a no a/c call and finds a locked compressor on a Trane heat pump, we order the comp. and he goes to replace it. well the "quick connects" on the comp. are frozen in place so he twists the 2 lines out of shape, so we order new ones. new ones arrive and he goes to finish the repair, after system is charged he finds the reversing valve stuck! so we order a new one. he went back today to replace the valve and after 5hrs. i call him to see whats up, not only is the valve not replaced but he managed to melt the copper to aluminium connection on one of the condenser circuits! i tell him to go to the Trane supply house and get a repair kit for the connection and i will be there shortly. so instead of going home i go and help him(on my own time). by the time i get there he has the connection fixed and is STILL trying to braze the r/v. i finish the install for him,check for leaks and pull a vac. after charging unit we check operation in ac, super heat sub cooling delta-t ect..it all looks fine, switch to heat and common suction falls like a rock, start checking what he did and find a suction line drier he installed on suction line between evap. and heat pump! so i tell him the arrow on the drier is there for a reason, now he is very bummed out because he now has to make trip #6 and remove the drier. boy we really lost money on this one

08-05-2005 11:54 PM
    I don’t always drink beer, but when I do I prefer Dos-Equis. I am the most interesting man in the world. Stay thirsty my friends.

Did he get hired from the corner holding a sign?

And do it your selfers think they can fix their own systems? Even technicians with 2 years of HVAC school have a great deal to learn and skills to develop.

Some days your'e the big dog and other days your'e the hydrant
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

mattm
    Professional Member

------------------------------------------------------------
    no he has a 1yr tech. school. really nice guy and very willing to learn. what i like about him is that he learns from his mistakes AND the mistakes of others
    I don’t always drink beer, but when I do I prefer Dos-Equis. I am the most interesting man in the world. Stay thirsty my friends.

Boy did he get an education off of that job.

But thanks for giving him the opertunity to work for you . Not many people are willing to hire someone with little experience , at least out here anyway

Originally posted by mattm

Boy.....i really need to get some new pants. SOMEBODY should of said something.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Schools can only do so much, after that it's OJT.
    I think someone should have helped him out sooner on that one.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

You have seen the reason I do not like to replace compressors on heat pumps ( unless I know exactly what took them out ).I always recommend replacing the entire unit. I will replace compressor, but I will warn the HO, that the compressor may not be the only problem with system, but I won't know until I replace compressor & start up. 99% opt for the unit replacement.

I have done, my experience teacher, the same thing - replaced compressor, and then found reversing valve bad.
    Good learning exerience though.

Tell yur tech I said 'good luck',
    Richard

Paw...Is That You Paw....I Got Gold Hid Under Here Paw.

Sometimes The Best Way To learn Is To Screw Up....Hope He Is a fast Learner.
    Refrigeration...Finding the Wright Wrench to pound in the correct..Screw

Experience is some good medecine.

Experience is some good medecine.

but look at who is paying the bill.

somewhere along trip # 2 or 3 would have been a great time to realize that it is time to call in reinforcements.
    by trip #6 everyone involved with the repair looks like they dont know what they are doing

Originally posted by Diceman
    Schools can only do so much, after that it's OJT.
    I think someone should have helped him out sooner on that one.
    Oh yeah. Big time. Like, after the twisting incident, with a young'un, someone should've said to themselves:"Hmm, best go see how Jr. is making out on that thing..."