Last November our gas heater died. I had a Goodman high efficiency gas htr installed (I think 93 or 96 percent efficient). The installer ordered a single speed htr but I had him re-order the model with the variable speed motor at a cost of about $400 more. My installer didn't seem to know anything about this particular htr, but he installed it anyway. When he replaced the htr, he also replaced the cooling coil or evaporator coil (it's under the house with the heater and air handler). Anyway, it took a long time to get it installed but it worked well after it was finally finished and the AC seems to have done a really good job. My problems are that #1, I never recieved a sales agreement, bill of sale, or anything to show that I bought this unit from the person. #2, with the new system, there is now a 2-inch pvc pipe that exits through the foundation wall to the outside. About 6 feet in, the pipe branches off into 2 pipes that go back to the htr/air handler. One of these pipes was disconnected or fell off after installation. the installer keeps saying he'll come back and put it back, but he never does. When the termite inspector was here he tried to put it back but it wouldn't stay. I noticed when he was in that area and doing something that water all of a sudden started coming out of a small pipe which exits the foundation about 10 feet away from this pipe. During this same time, our hardwood floors are buckling curling over the area where the htr/ air handler is located. The termite guy didn't see any leaking pipes (all newly replaced a couple of years back), but he did notice this pipe laying on the ground. Could this pipe laying on the ground/being disconnected affect the moisture in the floor? Does it affect the efficiency of the AC/Htr Unit? Do i need to get another HVAC prefessional to look at my system? It's only 8 months old and the contractor not only replaced the heater but all the ductwork. Am I being a worry-wart over nothing. It's been 3 weeks and 3 or 4 calls without a response except that the last time I actually spoke with the owner and he sai he personally would come out and check it. It's been a week and no one has responded. I called again tonight, got the answering machine again. I once again asked if the pipe could be re-attached and also if it might be contgributiong to the moisture. Whether he comes or not, tomorrowI have someone coming to chjeck my hardwood floors and to see if they can figure out where the moisture is coming from.

2" PVC would be the flue pipe. There could be a 2" intake too. If they Y together, hopefully it goes into a concentric fitting!!!!!! Take a picture of it and post and we can confirm. Anyway, sounds like the exhaust came apart and all that moisture was blown at the floor. Also probably pouring CO into the crawlspace too. Consider yourself VERY LUCKY!

I would have another pro look everything over. This guy sounds scary! If your community has an inspection office, suggest calling them and asking for an inspector to check it out too. Not that you would in August but certainly don't turn on the heat til this is positively fixed.

Can't believe a contractor would not consider this an emergency call and get his ass back over there pronto. Sure I know it's summer and chances are the heat will not be used but having said that I would think if an inspector saw that and the contractor has made no effort to rectify the situation his ass will be nailed to a wall. How does the contractor know from talking to you over the phone if it is the supply air (not too bad) or the exhaust pipe (very dangerous) that has come unglued (if he glued them in the first place) Get tough with this contractor and get that fixed. As far as water discharge, sounds like a condensate pump line coming from the A/C. perfectly normal to discharge now and then as it is operated by a float switch. This contractor gets the ******* of the month for his calous disregard for his customers safety.
    "Go big or Go Home"

As stated; consider yourself lucky. That said, get another contractor to inspect and repair anything that is not as per the instruction manual that came with the equipment. Then send the original installer the bill for having the repairs done.

You also need to record and register the serial numbers of all of the equipment components. Get the model and serial numbers of the furnace, indoor coil connected to the furnace and outdoor unit. Then, contact Goodman consumer affairs and have them tell you what you need to do to insure that your warranties will be in effect for any possible issues in the future.

Call Goodman's main number at 713-861-2500, press "O" for the operator and ask to be connected to consumer affairs.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!!!!!!

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE RESPONSES!!! We DID have an odd smell throughout the winter. We thought maybe our gas hot water htr was going bad. It's in the garage on the other side of our bedroom wall. When it was winter and the heater was on, it smelled rather funky throughout the house, especially in our bedroom at night when we'd close the door.

I'm trying to attach pics, but cannot. If you'd tell me how I will. The 2 pvc pipes go back up under the house to what I'd assume is the heater. One enters at the top and the other enters at the bottom. The one coming out of the bottom is the one that has been disconnected from the y connector going through the foundation wall to the outside. The heater is either a GMV9 or a GCV9. I don't know which, I just know it SHOULD not be the GMS90904cxa that was originally delivered my house.

I don't know that this was the problem but in December, after they had finished and left, we couldn't get the heater to blow warm air. His installers came back and I remember they disconnected some pipe then; I don't know if this was it. But since no one's been under the house but the termite guy when he saw it, I'd say they left it that way.

Another problem (to me anyway). He was supposed to fix was the booming we get when the fan seems to kick in or shuts off. He told me there was a strap or something he would put around the big duct or somewhere because of a pressure buildup or release in the ducting.

Since I have nothing (I paid by check so I'd have that info or the bank would) but the original workup sheet on his company letterhead with the wrong serial number (the original unit), will Goodman give me, not him the warranty/title info, instruction manual on the htr and new AC coil? I would need the instruction manual for the other contractor/inspector to check the work, wouldn't I?

Is there any standard warranty time for workmanship in the HVAC business?

What inspector would you be talking about?

I dont' know if this is related but another question I have is this: We run our AC at 78 degrees during the day and evening and when we go to bed we set it to 75 because we like to sleep cooler. However, about 5 or 6 in the morning we both wake up warm, despite the fact that the AC thermostat is set to 75 and the temp shows 75. Why would that be? Is because of the multi-stage fan not needing to push the air around since we were not doing any moving about?

Thanks again for your HELPFUL responses!!

Paul

You have to upload the pictures to the web somewhere. Your own site or something like http://www.imagewiz.net. HT's info is hvactalk, password talkie. Then paste image location between img location /img with [brackets around img and /img] tags.

If that's too much work, email them to me (address on homepage, see my profile) and I'll post.

[Edited by BaldLoonie on 08-06-2005 at 09:02 AM]

Looks like they didn't set the dip switches properly for the blower either. Here's a copy of the Instruction manual for you to print http://securenet.goodmanmfg.com/pdf/...Lit/IO-243.PDF
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV