Carrier Infinity Info

Carrier Infinity Info

Well had the latest HVAC contractor out last week and got bids this morning. This company is a Carrier certified dealer with NATE certified techs. Proposal is comparable in price to others I have received.

Tech did a man-J, calling for 45,xxx Btuh heat and 30,xxx Btuh for cooling. I get a good feeling from everything I have seen, heard, and read about the dealer and Carrier products.

My question is that the the proposals are for the Infinity 3 stage furnace and either a 17 seer "Performance" AC or:
    A 21 seer "Infinity" AC........ the price diffence is right about $1,000 between the two. I am leaning toward the Infinity AC unit. Is there any particular reason I SHOULD NOT? I pay about $.07 a kwh right now.

Also wondering about the "Infinity" air purifier.....my wife is in love with the bells and whistles of it.... the reduction of dust and pathogens (maybe?) in the home.......... BUT.... as you and I now....these things are a bit pricey.

So.... good or waste? I'm all about makin Momma happy...... but everything has a limit.

I am Mxjamie...... and I approve this message

ask what is ROI (return on investment ) of the two

personally, I'd go 17 seer and a 4" or 5" media filter (nothing to breakdown)
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

according to Carrier's publishings, there would be about a $10-15 difference in cost between the two a month.... so 15x12= 180

1,000/180= 5.5 So the 21 seer I would break even in 5 1/2 to 7 years (realistically)?

Seems OK to me.......... plus I think cosmetically it just looks better, I know.... I know......, it's like I'm a woman and shopping for shoes or something.

Around here, that would likely be a 20 year payback over 13 SEER. So if you just have to have the ultimate, great. But with those low electric rates, like ours, and unless you are in a very hot climate, don't expect huge economic savings. Of course electric rates may not always be that low...

I'm another one who likes a good media filter. The new Aprilaire MERV13 comes to mind.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mxjamie540 View Post
    Well had the latest HVAC contractor out last week and got bids this morning. This company is a Carrier certified dealer with NATE certified techs. Proposal is comparable in price to others I have received.

Tech did a man-J, calling for 45,xxx Btuh heat and 30,xxx Btuh for cooling. I get a good feeling from everything I have seen, heard, and read about the dealer and Carrier products.

My question is that the the proposals are for the Infinity 3 stage furnace and either a 17 seer "Performance" AC or:
    A 21 seer "Infinity" AC........ the price diffence is right about $1,000 between the two. I am leaning toward the Infinity AC unit. Is there any particular reason I SHOULD NOT? I pay about $.07 a kwh right now.

Also wondering about the "Infinity" air purifier.....my wife is in love with the bells and whistles of it.... the reduction of dust and pathogens (maybe?) in the home.......... BUT.... as you and I now....these things are a bit pricey.

So.... good or waste? I'm all about makin Momma happy...... but everything has a limit.

I am Mxjamie...... and I approve this message
    This one is easy, 17.0 seer works better and is quieter..
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Which Performance AC unit is being quoted? The 24APA7 is a two stage model, the 24APA5 is a single stage. I highly recommend getting the two stage in the 3 ton size, vs. a 2.5 ton single stage. You will be more comfortable if you live in a area which has high humidity.

Your quote should have a complete set of model numbers. The contractor should also tell you the AHRI directory number. This well verify a matched set of components and the efficiency ratings (AFUE, SEER, EER, etc.). You will seen the Infinity 21 will have a SEER rating in the range of 18.0 - 18.5. I think the Performance 24APA7 will be in the 15-16 SEER. You are not likely to see a pay back if your electric rates is $.07 per KWH.

I also recommend dropping the air cleaner and getting the 4 inch Carrier media filter. The MERV 8 filter is fine. Also ask if the 10 year labor warranty from Carrier is included, and if the Carrier rebates are being offered.

3 ton 2-stage AC.... which is what I was wanting from the beginning as I live in Southern Illinois about 20 miles from the Mississippi river... as you may guess, it can be VERY humid here.

Have talked the wife into the regular media filter

And, the 10 year parts & labor warranty is included, also the rebates from Carrier, my utility company, and the Fed are being accounted for and given.

Infinity 21, no doubt! It can dehumidify-on-demand (with an Infinity Control - a must) which, from your description, will be a huge benefit for you. The Performance 17 can't come close to the humidity removal. Although you may not want to base your decision on ROI, the I21 does have "hidden" cost savings - you will be able to leave your cooling setting a couple degrees higher because of the enhanced dehumidification.

The I21 is also MUCH quieter than the P17, you may not even hear it running. As goofy as it is, I agree with your attraction to the cabinet - the P17 cabinet is squatty and looks relatively cheaper than the Infinity cabinet.

As far as the filtration goes, unless anyone in your household has severe allergies / asthma, a media filtration would be sufficient. Please don't interpret"sufficient" as mediocre because it's a huge upgrade over any 1" filter. The Infinity Air Purifier is only to your advantage, in my opinion, for medical conditions. The purifier media cartridge is also very expensive to replace every 6 - 8 months vs. a 4" / 5" media filter. You would likely be better served putting that money into the Infinity 21 Air Conditioner upgrade.