Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dx, A flo-thru humidifier is much better than a drum style. There is no comparison. Drum styles require more maintenance, more parts, and do not humidify as well. They can be a bacterial mess unless you add water tablets and the pad should be changed every year and not soaked in vinegar. The rubber on the float switch get old and can cause the pan to over flow. Every time I see one, I recomend the home owner does not use it and changes over to a flow-thru style.

Mark25, April air, General, Honeywell are all good names to go with for flo-thru humidifiers.

Dx, lighten up... dont be so arrogent in your posts.

[Edited by coolwhip on 08-10-2005 at 12:13 PM]
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

Turbo, the original poster is asking the question on this forum, so he is not one of your "total-neglect" customers. Quite the opposite, he is a thoughtful and concerned person.

Part of the job of a good HVAC tech is to ask the HO: would you rather replace this or replace that? Do you care how much water it uses? etc. There is no such thing as a no-maintenance humidifier.

And, by the way, "routinely" maintaining a drum-type means once a year, exactly as often as a flow-through type. If you don't want to clean it, you can replace the foam and tray liner for about the same price as changing the pad in a flow-through. If you have hard water, it affects both types of humidifiers equally.

Coolwhip, can you point me to your evidence for the comment that the drum-type humis do not humidify as well? Thanks

Originally posted by dx
    Coolwhip, can you point me to your evidence for the comment that the drum-type humis do not humidify as well? Thanks

Experience will teach you this Dx.
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

I have had both. The aprilaire works better and requires less maintenance. I am sure it uses more water, but I don't notice it.

The drum type's water does get warm and stagnant because the humidistat does not call for humidity all the time. However, warm air does move over the water all the time the furnace is running. When the flow through's humidistat does not call for humidity,the pad is dried out and there is no water anywhere. This is esecially a problem in the milder parts of the season where there is little cycling of the furnace and is made even worse if your furnace is oversaized and cycling even less.

I mainly install the drum style humidifiers such as Lobbs WA-2 unit. Up in this area there are alot of wells and hard water. The pads in the flow thru units plug up quickly from the hardness and are almost impossible to clean. The pads in the drum style can at least be soaked in Vinegar to clean them up. (unless the HO has a softener) I always inform the HO to shut off the water supply to the humidifier in the spring and turn it back on in the late fall. This way the water doesn't have a chance to become stagnant, since whats in the pan dries up when the supply is shut off. The pan and liner get cleaned thoroughly each year during the check and clean on their equipment.

Here is one way to make the customer happy: Sell them a Lobb. Calculate how much they will be saving a year in water cost. Then tell them to hire someone once a year to come and replace the pad and liner. Do the arithmetic. They will have money left over and they have to do nothing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12