Thread: 12-yr old York 2.5 ton compressor relaced with Payne (Rheem?) now high humidity.

Post Likes

12-yr old York 2.5 ton compressor relaced with Payne (Bryant?) now high humidity.

Just got my 12 year old home's entire outside unit replaced. It was a York. 2.5 ton for my 2,450 Sq Ft home (incl basement size). They put in a Payne (Bryant?) unit. I can only assume it's the same 'size' (2.5 Ton). It runs fine.

We would never set ours to below 76 or so before this. And it was nice and cold feeling.

Now, at 75 or 76, the humidity is 66 or so and it feels sticky. The carpet feels damp almost. I am not very satisfied.

The installer showed me that the drain from the inside coil was clogged and showed me how to use a shop-vac to suck it out and get it running again.

I've had to do this twice in 4 days now, it appears.

When we set it to 72 or 73, the humidity drops to 50%, but it's too cold for us.

What is the next step I should do? Is there something wrong with my inside coil, too?

Thanks in advance. I just found this place and have no history in reading it, so if I made a faux pas, just let me know.

[Edited by billsmith on 08-05-2005 at 04:07 PM]

Post Likes
    Payne flies under the Carrier banner and Rheem is, well, Rheem. Not the same animal.

If you are certain the tonnage of the new condenser is the same as the twelve year old just replaced, it's possible the system is overcharged and that's why the dehumidification isn't as it should be. If the system uses a fixed metering device, an overcharge, even a small amount, will negatively affect performance.

If the tonnage of the condenser was increased, you could now be faced with an oversized condition which does not allow the system to run long enough or the coil cool enough to propery remove humidity from the indoor air.
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    Thanks. How can I check the ton(nage) myself?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by billsmith
    The model number on the condenser nameplate is usually a good clue. Sometimes it will include some number that is a multiple of 6, where each whole multiple of 12 is a ton. (e.g. 18=1.5 ton, 24=2 ton, 30=2.5 ton, 36=3 ton etc.).

If you don't see something obvious like this, then you can cross-check it with the manufacturer's website.

Post Likes
    Check the tag on the condenser outside. If the size isn't explictly listed then post the model number and someone will convert it for you.

By the way, did the contractor do any kind of heat load analysis before quoting on the replacement unit?

Post Likes
    Another possibility is that the service tech may have changed the speed of the indoor blower motor (usually a jumper) to try to better "tune" the performance that he was shooting for. The higher speed can cool the house more quickly, but will negatively impact the dehumidification of the house.

Ask if he made any changes to the blower.

paul

Post Likes
    Payne Model number PA10JA030-G

He did not do any inside work, except show me how to suck out the 'clogged' line for water.

He ordered the same size compressor as the previous one and came over and installed it. He watched for a few minutes to make sure the freon was keeping the right pressure and such. I've left him a voicemail, but have not heard from him yet. This was done independently by him, he has 24 years service and also taught at area tech school, too.

Post Likes
    There may be other issues that are causing poor dehumidification -- but read this and then discuss it with your tech:

http://www.proctoreng.com/articles/bigger.html

Post Likes
    Sometimes with mismatched equipment, latent capacity is the first to go. Other than putting in matching Payne coil with proper sized piston, next thing to check as tecman said is airflow. High airflow kills humidity too but should have been an issue before too.

Post Likes
    Payne Model number PA10JA030-G
    I'd guess that's a 2.5 ton from the 30 at the end of the model number...

Post Likes
    You are ready for addding supplemental dehumidification. Add 100 pints for 2,500 sqft. of home. This will provide 50 %RH regardless the temperature or use of a/c. You will love it. I went through the same process in my home 15 years ago and now enjoy <50%RH all through summer, spring, and fall. I visited with a friend from Tampa who related that it's boring, "45%RH all the time" after adding 100 pints of dehumidification.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by teddy bear
    I visited with a friend from Tampa who related that it's boring, "45%RH all the time" after adding 100 pints of dehumidification.
    Your friend from Tampa has a broken or badly oversized A/C system. This time of year in Florida a well-designed and properly sized A/C system should easily achieve < 50% RH without the need for supplemental dehumidification.

Post Likes
    If your repeatedly having to unclog the drin line, that may be where you are getting alot of your humidity from, the duct work may be soaked with water, and be putting humidity back in the air.

Can you post the mod number of the inside unit.
    If its a 2 piece unit, post both the blower and coil number.

Post Likes
    Could be you fan is running on too high of a speed. Most of the time, the fan will be set on high for cooling because the ductwork is incorrect and an attemp is made to push "more" air. The problem this causes is the air moves past the coil too fast and dosen't have a chance to dehumidity like it could. Have a technician check the temperature drop across your coil and if necessary, adjust the airflow accordingly.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by travisfl
    Originally posted by teddy bear
    I visited with a friend from Tampa who related that it's boring, "45%RH all the time" after adding 100 pints of dehumidification.
    Your friend from Tampa has a broken or badly oversized A/C system. This time of year in Florida a well-designed and properly sized A/C system should easily achieve < 50% RH without the need for supplemental dehumidification.
    You are right. The dehumidifier doesn't run much right now. But it gets a good workout during cool damp weather. You are a little sensitive. I will be a little more careful next time. TB

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in