Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Uh oh, I'm in trouble now. I've got no training so I probably didn't give the standard answer. But it sounded good to me. I'm just a homeowner in the Seattle area who found the subject interesting after doing some research before getting an air conditioner (heat pump actually) last summer.

Originally posted by go_redskins
    The one purpose of the compressor is to increase the temperature of the vapor.
    I would have to agree with this. This is the same thing the flame does in a motor home fridge.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

red skin to some extent you are close
    the compressor pulls in the vapor compreses it to a higher presure and temp. then forces it through the condenser to give off the heat and turn in to liquid
    i kinda simplyfied it in my earler post
    put the compressor compreses gas to a higher presure thus increasing temp and sending it through the rest of the process. it sole purpose is to compress the gas from a lower presure to a higher presure

bornriding,
    "What is the 'one' purpose of having a compressor in a refrigeration system??? In other words, what is the compressors designed function"

the one main thing that the compressor does? It has to raise the vapor temperature high enough above ambient so the ambient air can pass through the condenser and change the refrigerant back to a liquid.

The only thing the compressor does is raise the pressure of the vapor in the refrigeration cycle.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

no not the only thing it changes a low press. low temp. vapor to a high press. high temp. vapor.
    The suction vapor is warmed or heated by refrigerant oil and by heat of compression.

To increase suction pressure level to discharge pressure level, circulate refrigerant while seperating the low side from the high side, when doing so it elevates the refrigerant above ambient temp also compressing vapors to increase vapor denisty, converts a lp/lt gas to a hp/ht gas.

Now of course I could be out in left field here too lol
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat. (President Theodore Roosevelt)

Heat travels from a warmer to a colder ALWAYS. An air conditioner transfers heat from one place (inside) to another place (outside). This being said, in order for the refrigerant to transfer the heat that it gained in the evaporator coil to the ambient air, the temp. of the refrigerant must be higher than the air outside. Since the temp. of that said refrigerant is normally 35 to 55 degrees, the pressure must be raised in order to raise the temp. of the refrigerant higher than the outside temp. so that heat gained in the evaporator can be transfered outside.

circulate refrigerant

You could use a well pump to circulate refrigerant but it wouldn't cool the house.

you dont need a well pump actually you dont even need a pump for an ac system all you need is a evaporator and a very large supply of refrigerant. but this would be very primitive and the epa wouldnt like it

Originally posted by hvacguy1075
    you dont need a well pump actually you dont even need a pump for an ac system all you need is a evaporator and a very large supply of refrigerant. but this would be very primitive and the epa wouldnt like it
    Damn, no electric needed (for refrigerant cycle)... you just invented the new 80 S.E.E.R. air conditioning system!

coooool!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast