DIY gone wrong,,,,, again........
DIY gone wrong,,,,, again........
People literally blown out of their bed for saving a few bucks
I sincerely hope those to people are okay. I bookmark pages like this, show them to customers and explain the dangers are very real if you want to go el cheepo.
A fully licensed, insured, qualified technician costs time and money to train properly. We pass our skills, knowledge and expertise on to customers to ensure comfort but above all safety. Why do so many people NOT get that??
What I want to know is; how do you improperly install a gas dryer?
Rockville, MD has natural gas lines everywhere, so I doubt this was matter of LP being used on a dryer designed for natural gas.
Also, in Rockville, that $700,000 worth of damage may be equivelant to $200k in most areas of the country.
Must have just been a leak in the gas line. That's just someone being lazy and stupid.
...seek, and ye shall find;..
So always seek the Truth, not just what you want to believe to be true
Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV
tenants, 700k home
slum lords come in different varieties
they survives, but will they recover?
It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.
If people would read the directions! Im assuming they taped the new dryer to the gas supply using duct tape :P. Some people just have no street smarts. Also, at least use soap bubbles to check your line and connections sheesh.
I'm gonna say they called "Worst Buy".
My parents had those hacks come out and install her new washer and dryer. They had a rigid flex dryer vent. They threw away the 90 coming out of the back, tried to make the turn with the flex, it ripped, and they just went on their merry way.
"Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."
"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."
"Just get it done son."
Should probably add links to stuff like this for all the HO's on here, right below the rules that state "No DIY"
I can't believe these people actually lived through this, they were blown out of their bed into the yard literally
Gas appliance piping
Chris; I use to work for a gas utility company and you wouldn't believe how many unsafe / leaking ways you can hook up a gas dryer or range. Everything from a cut bicycle inner tube with duct tape to unglued pvc. I've seen it all. I also was called to several of those aftermath occurrences, some were fatal. Many of those involved theft of gas or use of LP in natural gas appliances when the gas service was shut-off. There was no communication then as there is now, only sad memories of death and destruction. I was sent to a call were a 48 flat apartment bldg was leveled by a customer who piped in place of a gas meter and fed a Kawanee gas steam boiler. He also by-passed the flame safety relay with a Popsicle stick. Another thing was the way people would jury rig heaters. We had one were the customer was saying that the gas company and heating appliance manufactures were working together to control the cost of gas by wasting heat from furnaces, the venting of the products of combustion. He had removed the vent pipe from his furnace and the fan enclosure panel from the return air fan and let it run like that in the middle of winter. He left it like that for several days while left the building and went to the company office to protest and tell everyone just how smat he was. We got the call direct from our office to check on this condition, too late his wife and four kids were already dead from CO poisoning. After that is when I decided to move to the south.-GEO
Once in a while everything falls into place and I am able to move forward, most of the time it just falls all over the place and I can't go anywhere-GEO
I hope they prosecuted him.
I love overtime I just hate working for it.
was called out behind a certain box store installer- he asked to borrow a wrench from the customer, 3/8 copper directly to back of range. customer came home and house was flooded w/ propane.
pipe had come out flare- looked like they wallowed out the end of copper w/ needle nose pliers and screwed it on.
asked to borrow the customer's tools, classy
questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated
We recently had a couple die in an accident in our small town. There was a NG line run to an empty fire place for future use, unfortunately they only put a ball valve shut off on the end and was bumped at some point, filled the house until there was an ignition source and blew up the house. It's presumed they couldn't smell the gas because it exploded at about 6:00am and they had been sleeping.