Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Sometimes the situation can be bad enough to tint the refrigerant oil green with the copper oxide that has been eroded away.

ROBO, is that what the .."GREEN SLIME" is . Copper Oxide mixed with oil?

Is that what those pin holes are on the coil? i always wonder if it was a manufacturer defect.

Anyway, ....I see more Carrier equipment than anything else. The disturbing part of this gig is that I see a lot of three to ten year old Carrier split system coils leaking and have to be replaced. I average two leakers a week right now. Also see a lot of five to six year old Carrier furnace circuit boards burning out usually at the blower motor terminal on the board. The new boards are updated with a retro fit wire harness I would guess new and improved. Replacing all this not so old defective equipment is great for sales and keeping busy but I have to think that Carrier's reputation for quality is sinking fast. ....What say you all???

i wish someone would post model # with these statements. How's someone to believe this. anyway, as a tech, i like to see what is happening with certain models of equipment out there. maybe i can target certain units on PM's.

Originally posted by ct2
    Sometimes the situation can be bad enough to tint the refrigerant oil green with the copper oxide that has been eroded away.

ROBO, is that what the .."GREEN SLIME" is . Copper Oxide mixed with oil?
    Green slime gets its green color from the same source but is a very unique phenomenum that rarely occurs and is often claimed when techs come across any green tinted oil.

Green slime can only occur in the first generation of Copeland scroll compressors. There is no doubt if a system has been contaminated with green slime. This stuff is like foam that stinks to high heaven. It is highly acidic and impossible to clean up.

On the other hand, a system that has had contamination cause coil leaks and green tinted oil can easily be cleaned up with a proper evacuation and good liquid line filter/drier after the coil has been replaced.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    A major factor of evaporator coil leaks is an improper evacuation during installation. There is nothing that any manufacturer can do about controlling the final manufacturing of any HVAC system, which is done by the technicians at the job site.
    RoBo:

I am going to help you here.

There is no manufacturing taking place out in the field. Manufacturing is taking raw goods and turning them into a product. What is taking place out in the field is assembly of products already made.

Your signature should read,”The final step of assembly of an HVAC system is done by the technician on the job”. This has been bugging me, and I want you looking your best out here.

i see more trane coils leaking and failed condenser motors.

Originally posted by madeinusa
    Your signature should read,”The final step of assembly of an HVAC system is done by the technician on the job”. This has been bugging me, and I want you looking your best out here.
    [/B]
    If it has been bugging you, I am just pleased as punch
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123