Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I have been working exclusively as a service technition for four months now, working for a larger service company and Carrier is our main brand.I run service calls all day long and really enjoy the gig. With Carrier being our premeir line of equipment I see more Carrier equipment than anything else. The disturbing part of this gig is that I see a lot of three to ten year old Carrier split system coils leaking and have to be replaced. I average two leakers a week right now. Also see a lot of five to six year old Carrier furnace circuit boards burning out usually at the blower motor terminal on the board. The new boards are updated with a retro fit wire harness I would guess new and improved. Replacing all this not so old defective equipment is great for sales and keeping busy but I have to think that Carrier's reputation for quality is sinking fast. I wonder how long it will take for the customer public to get well aware of Carriers quality problem and just refuse to buy Carrier any more. When that happens I suspect that Carrier will just go under and be bought out at fire sale prices. What say you all???

I would say carrier is as good as it gets in this trade.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Well carrier has its problems but i think they are number one or number two in sales. And all companies has there problems, York has circuit board problems, Lennox had the pulse and they gave away free furnaces to customers who furnaces failed their inspections.Rudd and Reem had the drum furnace which they too gave away free furnaces on failed inspections. Armstrong had the smartvalve which had some problems. So every company has had their problems but to me its how they will handle the problem. Carrier will be around for a long time to come.

Carrier is having no more or less difficulties then any other brand on the market, just in a different area at the moment.

We should all be thankful it is not a perfect world and that equipment is always going to have issues. It is what puts food on our collective tables.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    We should all be thankful it is not a perfect world and that equipment is always going to have issues. It is what puts food on our collective tables.
    So would you suggest we send all the mfg. a thank you card.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Do a search on the OPs's posts ,doesn't make sense,could it be incomplete,if so why??

Thanks for letting me know of problems other equipment manufacturers have experienced also. I wonder if Carrier will begin to offer new coils free like some other manufacturers have with their defective equipment. I really try hard to build my abilities at being a good tech representing a quality product. The quality in product that Carrier is currently experiencing just makes it hard for me to sell new equipment with confidence in the product.

Thumbs down Decision Time

Originally posted by book
    The quality in product that Carrier is currently experiencing just makes it hard for me to sell new equipment with confidence in the product.
    Where is that Green Pa$ture...

IF You are SO concerned,
    it is Time to Switch
    rather than Fight.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

A major factor of evaporator coil leaks is an improper evacuation during installation. There is nothing that any manufacturer can do about controlling the final manufacturing of any HVAC system, which is done by the technicians at the job site.

If you are running into a rash of leaking coils in one particular area, it just may be the installation practices of the installers in that area.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Book

I agree with you.
    We install 'tempstars' which was bought out ( icp) in 1995, I think, anyway, since carrier bought 'em, the quality has gone down considerably. Installed them tempstars for about 8 years prior to carrier's involvemnet and had only 2 warranties calls on maybe 80 installs, each one simple to repair, no leaking coils. Since carrier has had it, have had several condenser leaks in new equipment, less than a month old.
    They've gone from an 'a' coil to a slant coil now.units are larger, due to coil design, and have already had some indoor coils leaking. I am actually looking for a new line of equipment, something that still has some quality to it.
    Any suggestions??

Richard

I place all of the blame of equipment manufacturer's problems squarely on the shoulders of homeowners.

My guess is that 90% or more contractors do not know how to sell their companies or their services and in turn sell on price alone. Leaving price as the deciding factor.
    The more this happens, the more jaded the contractor becomes and almost convinces himself that price is the only way he can compete.
    When he/she gets caught up in this vicious cycle, they begin to hammer their reps about lowering prices of equipment. The more that this happens, the more the manufacturers try to find ways to lower costs.
    This is how we end up with ****ty products. IMO
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

A major factor of evaporator coil leaks is an improper evacuation during installation.
    Can you go into a little more detail on that one? I do not understand how not properly evacuating a system can cause a leak. But am very interested in the concept .
    Ed J

Originally posted by ed janowiak
    A major factor of evaporator coil leaks is an improper evacuation during installation.
    Can you go into a little more detail on that one? I do not understand how not properly evacuating a system can cause a leak. But am very interested in the concept .
    I would think that acidic oil would eat away the aluminum...
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast