Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I just replaced the filter in my F200E Honeywell Air Cleaner. Filter is FC200E1037, 20x25. The cleaner is in a Carrier Infinity system. The previous filter was installed six months ago, and the Infinity control said "100% used.

Here is the mystery. When the new filter was installed the static pressure increased! The static pressure with the used filter in place was 0.90 @ 1750 cfm. The static pressure with NO filter in place was 0.56 @ 1750 cfm. The static pressure with the new filter in place is 0.94 @ 1750 cfm !! How can this be?

The Honeywell installation booklet says the pressure drop with newly installed clean filter is 0.20 @1750 cfm. When I installed a new filter six months ago that was the case.

The new filter looks OK, genuine Honeywell part, Infinity system is working OK, old filter is very dirty. Static pressures were from the Infinity control.

Originally posted by charlie homeowner
    I just replaced the filter in my F200E Honeywell Air Cleaner. Filter is FC200E1037, 20x25. The cleaner is in a Carrier Infinity system. The previous filter was installed six months ago, and the Infinity control said "100% used.

Here is the mystery. When the new filter was installed the static pressure increased! The static pressure with the used filter in place was 0.90 @ 1750 cfm. The static pressure with NO filter in place was 0.56 @ 1750 cfm. The static pressure with the new filter in place is 0.94 @ 1750 cfm !! How can this be?

The Honeywell installation booklet says the pressure drop with newly installed clean filter is 0.20 @1750 cfm. When I installed a new filter six months ago that was the case.

The new filter looks OK, genuine Honeywell part, Infinity system is working OK, old filter is very dirty. Static pressures were from the Infinity control.
    Some new pleated type filters have a high SP drop; it could be as high as .38-ins. Pleated filters can go from .10-ins to .45-ins, it depends on their construction/design.

http://www.udarrell.com/external_sta..._readings.html

The new filter is the exact same brand and model as the old filter, Honeywell FC200E1037, and is of the same construction and design. Why would would the old clogged filter have a lower SP drop than an identical new filter?

Question High dP

Originally posted by charlie homeowner
    The new filter is the exact same brand and model as the old filter, Honeywell FC200E1037, and is of the same construction and design.
    Is the Filter Gauge still measuring accurately?

"_Keep in mind that with about one in 20 field static pressure readings you'll get what we call a "goofy" reading (I realize that's not a very technical term, but it's accurate)._" : U Darrell

Check the current gauge
    with a magnehelic gauge provided
    with the correct scale (1/2" max).

Did you actually measure Air Flow rate
    accurately and independently Each time?

[Edited by dan sw fl on 08-05-2005 at 06:40 AM]
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

t-stat

A t-stat reading static pressure ( LOL ) We have way too many engineer's with way too much time on their hands !!! he he BH
    My avatar is a picture of a Goodman Silencer .....These were commonly used in Goodman country ....Photos by hvac tech ( PaysonHVAC )

The Infinity control measures and displays the airflow rate and the SP. That is where I obtained the readings. I repeated the readings several times over 3 days and got essentially the same each time.

t-stat

Yea , I know what its supposed to do but I think its measuring it differently . In theory this reading is only a check point to telling you theres a problem . For exsample , My computer that im using now has a tempeture reading on the cpu . I can see the reading and it says 53 degrees . But this reading is a result of amp or current draw and caculated into a temp reading . This is no way correct . The only way to get a real temp reading is with a digital thermometer . So yes , You have numbers showing on your stat ,But how they get those numbers are misleading . Im not an exspert on this subject and someone may prove me wrong . bh
    My avatar is a picture of a Goodman Silencer .....These were commonly used in Goodman country ....Photos by hvac tech ( PaysonHVAC )

Smile

Kinda like the little red and green light on my $50 Wal-Mart vacuum.

BH,

If you don't know how the GE ECM 2.5 calculates ESP, then you shouldn't be knocking it. It is extremely accurate. Fan laws can't be fudged on these direct drive motors.

Over varying static pressures, the current draw and RPM are measured at different air flow rates. All the data (essentially fan curves) are stored in the on-board microprocesor.

We can measure three of these on the control board. The fourth, ESP, is easily calculated. It's pretty hard to fudge fan laws with direct drive motors.

Maybe the old filter developed tears or the frame got bent over time, creating a bypass around the filter medium. Were you measuring the static pressure with the fan on or the AC running? With AC, the variable speed motor tries to keep the pressure constant. So a dirty filter or even removing the filter should make no difference. Not sure if it does this with the fan only. Even if the fan function does not try to keep constant static pressure, a wet coil will affect the reading if you test it right after the AC has been running.

t-stats

Sorry , I just have this nitch about homeowners that are told all this crap by a salesman with a briefcase . Thier job is to sell the most exspensive system and add on as much in extras to get that higher sales commission . But thats for another thread . Lets see if how much its goin to cost for a service call to figure out whats wrong with his energy saving t-stat . bh

Sorry bh but I don't fit your stereotype of the stupid homeowner. You know, the one who is duped into purchasing an overpriced system that includes a nonsense "t-stat reading static pressure (LOL) - designed by engineers with "way too much time on their hands". Yea - LOL - what a laugh! All that energy saving bull put out by some fly-by-night outfit to fool the stupid homeowners.

I got four bids on various systems from reputable, factory authorized dealers, and I carefully considered and researched each proposal. Before I decided on the Carrier Infinity system, I sought the advice and recommendations of members of this forum. Several of the professional HVAC contractors here with many Infinity installations praised the system. None referred to the Infinity Control (it's not called a t-stat)as an add-on extra designed to increase sales commission.

Re: High dP

Originally posted by dan sw fl
    Did you actually measure Air Flow rate
    accurately and independently Each time?

[Edited by dan sw fl on 08-05-2005 at 06:40 AM]
    INDEPENDENTLY
    _ Yes __
    _ No __

Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast