Hmm

My home is 17 years old. I have had to repair 4 pin hole water leaks above ground in the last 6 years. The leak just starts in the pipe, not a soldered joint. Behind the dry wall or brick. No nail pricks or dissimilar metals near the leaks. The copper piping is under the slab then comes up to the users. I'm afraid of a leak under the house that may come in the future. Any ideas? Roy

Check the PH

and other impurities in your well. You may need "treatment". Your water may be eating the copper.

If your on a utility where your neighbors dont have the same problem, your pipes just may be undersized and friction is wearing them out. Are the leaks about 1/4" away from a turning fitting?
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

How do you get your water? Is there a chlorinator on the water system?

Or you just got some bad tubing. Is it type M or L tubing?

Spotts, have you seen tubing wore out by friction? Never heard that before, but there's lots of things I don't know.
    Not here for a long time, just a good time

XXXXXX

Hmm Water Well

Within 5 miles of the plant that I work for. We have deep well injections into the earth. Spotts, the pin holes are at least 12" from any turn or fitting. I have 1/2 inch ID copper pipe in the house. Muskie, I was thinking about a bad lot of tubing. What's the differance in the type M or L tubing? I don't have a water softener. The last thing I want is to have to tunnel under the house to fix a leak. Roy

I'm not a plumber but our shop is plumbing and air.

The general consensus as I understand it is once the copper starts with pinhole leaks at, near or under the slab it's time for a whole house re-pipe.

Mostly it's all done with PEX pipe through the attic.

Good luck.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

You didn't mention if the leaks occur on the cold or hot side.

I'm assuming it's on the cold because you mentioned the slab.
    I'll bet it's a bad lot of tubing if no one else is having the same issue on your block.

K, L, M copper tube is the wall thickness of the tube, K being thicker than L, L being thicker than M, M should not be used for stationary/permanent water service.

Hmm bobby7388

Good question, Hot or the Cold side. I'll check. Come to think of it my next door neighbor had a leak right at the slab. He did a lot of chipping. Thanks Roy

Roy:

Is there any tubing you can find that still has the manufacturer's markings on it?

Type M has red lettering, L is blue, and K is green.

Asking your neighbor probably isn't going to get you very far, because his house was probably built at the same time, by the same guys, using the same stuff.
    "If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a KA." - Albert Einstein

It's later than you think.

Originally posted by muskie770

Spotts, have you seen tubing wore out by friction? Never heard that before, but there's lots of things I don't know. [/B]

Yup. Theres a whole little town here called "Log Lane Village". My Grandad and his brothers plumbed alot of it. To get the bid they took the service to " right away. Then 3/8" & 1/4" soft copper branches. The whole routte to the outside faucets would just wear out. Took around 20 years or less. That water had Manganese too.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Hmm

Would getting a water softener stop or slow down the process of what ever is happening? Is there any type of coating or sealant for the inside of the copper pipe?

A pinhole isn't the size of a pin. It's a whole section of copper becoming thinner and thinner until it's as thick as rollin paper. You just cant see it until a hole appears, but all the copper needs to go. Whatever ate it wont even touch PEX. It's the best advice I have.
    Walter Matthau

I'm not a big fan of PEX tubing. I would look at where the tubing comes through the concrete and see if it was sleeved. Concrete has a way of eating through the tubing. If it's not, I wouldn't worry about it till it leaks, then chisel out the concrete and repair and sleeve the tubing before recementing.

Around these parts we only use type L tube for potable water, type M for hydronic heating, and type K under ground and under concrete.

I'm guessing your house was plumbed in M tube and the plumber probably used an excessive amount of flux. Some fluxes are highly corrosive, Oatey #5 in the red can is the best flux I have found for lead free solder. Is there any green corrosion on the tube? If so, check those areas. I'd be glad to talk you through any plumbing problems.

Plumbers measure tubing OD.
    Not here for a long time, just a good time

XXXXXX