working/installs in the rain? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Down here, rain storms can just come out of nowhere and they usually bring a bunch of lightning and thunder with them. I prefer not to work in the rain. It is too dangerous all the way around. If it's raining, I will find indoor work.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

We do what it take to work in the rain, rain coats, umbrellas, tarps....Yesterday 5 guys all drenched 6 hours rigging 6 20ton RTU's and placing curbs on roof at 2 stores.

Today every man in a different shoes, electric,gas piping,and duct-work done, tested heating and cooling good.

I forgot what rain was. Don't work in it unless I'm stuck half way through and want to finish.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Not going to open up a refrigeration system in the rain or do a change out in pouring rain. Maybe some small electrical work if I can rig a panel as a roof over my head. I look a road work crews, lawn mower guys, building construction companies. They work in crappier weather then I do. I think I'll wear my rain suit if I have to.
    ENJOY THE RIDE

I guess it really depends a lot on location. I coulda guessed what the other Texas folk would say

There is also a month or two out of the year where it rains every day between 3:30pm and 4:00pm. Sometimes it even rains when the sun is shining bright and it seems like there isn't a cloud in the sky.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

I am on the coast of Maine. If we didn't work in the rain or snow, we wouldn't get much done.

Rain yes, Lightning NO. Will Crane operators set up in the Rain? If it's raining too hard they won't set up, to much of a chance of killing someone. If it's Lightning, they won't put the Boom up.

I don't like working in rain, hate to get wet. even more, hate tools getting wet, too much money in them, and getting rusty/damaged.

Had a drop cord burn up last summer from the rain. was raining so hard even putting a cover over the unit wouldn't stop the splashing all over under the cover. recovery machine was plugged into the cord-$$$ if that burned up.

I do have some "loaner" tools I use in rain. replaced a condensor fan motor in the rain, on Saturday last summer as well. Didn't get as indepth on the call since not bringing out $100s in tools/meters in the rain.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Quote Originally Posted by Texas-Tech View Post
    I forgot what rain was. Don't work in it unless I'm stuck half way through and want to finish.
    I'll agree to that for the most part. Alot depends on what it is and who it's for. If a regular customer calls in and it's raining I've been known to go out and see what it is, if it's minor i'll take care of it, if it's major i'll usually come back when it stops no matter what time it is. If it's a new customer i'll usually put them off till its done. Main reason for this is alot of our customers condensing units are on platforms where we have to have the extension ladder out and half the time we're working off the ladder cause construction contractors and architects can't get it through their heads we would actually like platforms that were big enough to squat down and work on the unit rather then off a ladder.

so in the end it just really depends.

It's easier to work in snow than rain. 600V won't jump so easily.

I popped the hatch on a Kmart once and as soon as the seal cracked open a bolt of lightning hit one of the units on the roof... It wasn't even raining yet... Nah, don't do storms much. Rain, maybe. Lightning, nuh-uh. We get tons of summer storms around here as well.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

No way in Florida.
    To work in the rain, it really would have to be an emergency, one that I can not think of right now.
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

I avoid working in the rain as much as possible but I'm flexible about it and will usually at least take a look at the unit to see what's wrong.

If it's lost just enough refrigerant to start freezing up or cut out on low pressure I'll charge it and come back to make the repair (if it's not losing refrigerant at an unreasonable rate)

Electrical work is more iffy. I'll do it if I can keep the work area somewhat free of rain (cardboard roof over my head, umbrella, etc).

Things I won't do:

Work on electrical components if I can't keep the rain off them (rain coming in sideways due to wind)

Work when there is lightening or a risk of it.

Open a refrigerant line in the rain.

Any non-priority work such as preventative maintenance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast