+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: working/installs in the rain?

Post Likes
    Rain yes, Lightning NO. Will Crane operators set up in the Rain? If it's raining too hard they won't set up, to much of a chance of killing someone. If it's Lightning, they won't put the Boom up.

Post Likes
    I don't like working in rain, hate to get wet. even more, hate tools getting wet, too much money in them, and getting rusty/damaged.

Had a drop cord burn up last summer from the rain. was raining so hard even putting a cover over the unit wouldn't stop the splashing all over under the cover. recovery machine was plugged into the cord-$$$ if that burned up.

I do have some "loaner" tools I use in rain. replaced a condensor fan motor in the rain, on Saturday last summer as well. Didn't get as indepth on the call since not bringing out $100s in tools/meters in the rain.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas-Tech View Post
    I forgot what rain was. Don't work in it unless I'm stuck half way through and want to finish.
    I'll agree to that for the most part. Alot depends on what it is and who it's for. If a regular customer calls in and it's raining I've been known to go out and see what it is, if it's minor i'll take care of it, if it's major i'll usually come back when it stops no matter what time it is. If it's a new customer i'll usually put them off till its done. Main reason for this is alot of our customers condensing units are on platforms where we have to have the extension ladder out and half the time we're working off the ladder cause construction contractors and architects can't get it through their heads we would actually like platforms that were big enough to squat down and work on the unit rather then off a ladder.

so in the end it just really depends.

Post Likes
    It's easier to work in snow than rain. 600V won't jump so easily.

I popped the hatch on a Kmart once and as soon as the seal cracked open a bolt of lightning hit one of the units on the roof... It wasn't even raining yet... Nah, don't do storms much. Rain, maybe. Lightning, nuh-uh. We get tons of summer storms around here as well.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2¢.

Post Likes
    No way in Florida.
    To work in the rain, it really would have to be an emergency, one that I can not think of right now.
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

Post Likes
    I avoid working in the rain as much as possible but I'm flexible about it and will usually at least take a look at the unit to see what's wrong.

If it's lost just enough refrigerant to start freezing up or cut out on low pressure I'll charge it and come back to make the repair (if it's not losing refrigerant at an unreasonable rate)

Electrical work is more iffy. I'll do it if I can keep the work area somewhat free of rain (cardboard roof over my head, umbrella, etc).

Things I won't do:

Work on electrical components if I can't keep the rain off them (rain coming in sideways due to wind)

Work when there is lightening or a risk of it.

Open a refrigerant line in the rain.

Any non-priority work such as preventative maintenance.

Post Likes

Interesting

for those of you who don't or won't work in the rain.

lets say it's time for spring PM's. its raining. your boss says go do the PM at so and so's. do you say "no it is raining"? what does he say? oh ok, stay home and i will pay you! or maybe, your such a valuable unreplaceable employee i will find other work for you. to hell with the customer, i can't have my guys getting wet.

i really don't understand how it can be avoided.
    i just don't buy the fact that there are HVAC tech's that don't work in the rain.
    i am calling BS
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

We have freedom because somebody fought for it.
    We keep it because we are willing to fight for it.
    We lose it because we are not willing to fight for it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by viceman View Post

lets say it's time for spring PM's. its raining. your boss says go do the PM at so and so's. do you say "no it is raining"? what does he say? oh ok, stay home and i will pay you! or maybe, your such a valuable unreplaceable employee i will find other work for you. to hell with the customer, i can't have my guys getting wet.

i just don't buy the fact that there are HVAC tech's that don't work in the rain.
    i am calling BS
    In Florida is does not rain a lot and when it does, it is also very rare to go days without sunshine. There was a news paper once that would give out a free issue if you could prove that somewhere during the day Florida did not get sunshine. if you wait one,two, three or four hours the rain usually stops, during that four hours there are always plenty of other things to do.

Vice, if it rained every day Sunshine techs would be more like you I would assume.

In a place like Seattle I would think when the sun was out it would be a news story in itself.
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

Post Likes
    You make a good point, but the climate in Florida is somewhat anomalous to the rest of the country.

As you stated, you get mostly sunny weather (interspersed, of course, with the occasional hurricane)

Around here, it isn't uncommon to not see the sun for a couple of days, then go a few days without seeing a cloud, and that, I think, is a more "normal" weather pattern. We had one of the rainiest Aprils on record around these parts. If I didn't work in the rain, I would have had almost a month off without pay.

Now, would I go changing a compressor in the rain? Not if there is any way to avoid it. I simply explain to the customer the risks and consequences, but if the walk in is down and the ice cream is melting, you had better get your butt up on that roof and get it fixed or the customer is just going to find a new service provider that can afford rain jackets.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by viceman View Post

i am calling BS
    It depends on how much rain there is. it usually does not rain all day, so Ill wait it out or go home. if its a little drizzle and I wont get soaked, Ill keep going.

Its MY call not the boss. I really dont care what the boss says, its MY tools and MY safety. If its that important that something needs to be done in the rain, they will pay me to sit and wait till its safe to work.

Who's going to pay for my tools when they get ****ed up in the rain? Whos going to be at fault when I get shocked troubleshooting something on the roof? ME!

If you dont look out for your own safety, no one else will.

Post Likes
    Our boss let's us go home if it's raining and we are supposed to go outside... I like getting paid though so I stay and work. I've done many a new condenser install in the rain and still pulled my vacuum down to 500. Just make sure you have proper rain gear and put something over the unit like those awnings to keep water from getting directly into the unit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in