Thread: furnaces

I'm new to this board. I know it's the summer, but I was wondering what is the reliability, and the good and bad features of a two stage furnace vs. a variable speed two stage furnace. I am looking at the Signature or the Elite series of the Lennox furnaces.

Thanks guys, in advance.

they are both good units and have a good track record so far. the v drive unit will give better control of the air over the standart 4 speed motor. v drive alows you to ramp up and down to what ever cfms you want and will give exactly the cfm called for. the standart mortor can not do this and just gets you close. witch ever you go with get a good filter with it to protect all the internals of the unit. i personaly like the space gaurd 2200 filter best
    honey well makes a good one also. the extra expense will pay for it self in the long run

v drive gives quieter starts and stops, more control over air flow, much less expensive to operate. both good furnaces, have installed both. went with v drive 2 stage and 3 zone control for my own house

According to the Lennox website, the Signature G61V has an eficiency of up to 94.6%. The G61 has an efficiency of 94.1% Besides the obvious, how much "less expensive to operate" can the v-speed be. And why is the G61V listed as "up to 94.6%."

Question Newby

Originally posted by cathy1
    I am looking at the Signature or the Elite series of the Lennox furnaces. Thanks guys, in advance.
    Welcome,
    ________ Cathy1 = ELITE
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Cathy, I am not a Lennox person, but the answer to your last question is universal. There are two costs of operation with a typical furnace- the fuel consumed by the burners and the electricity to operate the blower and conrols. Controls take miniscule amounts of electrical power, the blower is another story. Some folks like to run the blowers often and even 24/7. This may help alleviate stale air problems, filter air better, etc. A standard blower motor referred to as PSC could use approximately $20-$30 per month or more to operate, while an ECM (variable speed) may use only $1.50 - $3.00 per month. Don't quote me with these figures as electrical costs, motor sizes, loads, etc. will all vary. I was merely showing an illustration of costs to operate. Greg

Originally posted by greg swob
    A standard blower motor referred to as PSC could use approximately $20-$30 per month or more to operate, while an ECM (variable speed) may use only $1.50 - $3.00 per month. Don't quote me with these figures as electrical costs, motor sizes, loads, etc. will all vary. I was merely showing an illustration of costs to operate. Greg
    Yes. I was explained this in terms of light bulbs and that a variable speed blower was about the same as a 60 watt bulb (with the right ductwork), and that standard blowers can use 500 watts or more.

Originally posted by cathy1
    According to the Lennox website, the Signature G61V has an eficiency of up to 94.6%. The G61 has an efficiency of 94.1% Besides the obvious, how much "less expensive to operate" can the v-speed be. And why is the G61V listed as "up to 94.6%."

gas furnaces the way i understand it are rated for efficiency by gas usage only. v drive will use much less electricity for blower making heating and cooling costs lower.