Thread: A funny Story

Talking

I have a funny story, Sorry there is no Picture for this, although I wish I had some video of it. I thought it may be wall of shame worthy.

The Compressor went out on the astro van, I went to Napa auto parts for a new one, They didnt have any new only remanned. The parts guy brought one to the counter, I pulled it out of the box and tried to spin the part where the belt goes (not sure what that is called) and it was stuck. I told the counter guy that that comp was no good.

He seemed new and not real sure about anything so he calls the counter mgr.

So here comes this Short no neck meat head jerk (We will call him frank), and just blurts out "What the Problem?" Everybody looks,, I told him the compressor clutch was stuck, He picked it up and starts muscling it and rotating it. Then Says real loud, "Oh No No, This is what you want, NICE-AND-TIGHT!! Its a Compressor! Dont you know what its supposed to do?"

Before I could respond, There is a loud explosion, and He and I Plus everybody within a 15 foot radius including the counter were covered in Pag oil!! The seal blew of the discharge outlet from him cranking on it.

He just set it down and walked away everybody was laughing, I ended up going to Carquest to get my new compressor, We now call that guy Ol' Nice and Tight, and now also when working we say when it comes to electrical connections or whatever, we say make sure its "frank"

Stay Cool
    Jay.
    Semper Fi!

LOL..sounds like frank has the "WEE-MAN syndrome"
    I work with the Chiller Whisperer...

Talking

Don`t you just love it when some jerkoff gets what he deserves.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

The sheave should turn but not the compressor because it has the full system oil charge. After installing it you have to turn compressor over around ten times by hand so you don't oil slug it.

Originally posted by CoolCopperUSMC
    The seal blew of the discharge outlet from him cranking on it.
    Kinda impossible to rotate an automotive compressor with the suction and discharge caps on. But the pulley should have spun freely.

darn astro van / chevy AC

Two of our older Astros service vans have had compressor failures (bad bearings in the clutch). My own Chevy truck is on the third compressor! The bearings went out on the first one, I replaced it with a rebuilt from NAPA, a year later same problem. This one (the last rebuilt compressor I will ever buy) has had no problem with the bearings but is leaking around the case seal. I think I see a pattern here!

i drive an astro for service. and while i like the van, its quite ''frank'' to work out of but its got 92 k's on the speedo. i've got so much crap in there that i have to go like 10 mph around turns. if i go faster, the thing feels like its ready to roll over. i might hAVE TO GET PICS, but i want a bigger van!!!!!!!!!!!!

My last Nissan (Infiniti) compressor had ~9000 hrs on it and still dropped the discharge air temp down to 45F with a 95F ambient on the day I traded it in. I probably should have yanked it and thrown it into my house. Maybe that's not a real impressive # compared to most commercial ACs, but not bad for a car.

Dude that is funny sh*t. Wish I could have seen that happen for real!

That guy must have **** his pants when that happened... "...nice and tiiiieeeeee......." BOOM!!!!!!

he must have had his hand on the clutch which is in the center of the pulley -that's the only way to turn the shaft, either that or energize the clutch with 12vdc and then turn it, otherwise ,the pulley will only spin by itself.
    Da Threadkilla

Well yeah! Thats the whole thing Oogene, The Pulley/Sheave was stuck. It didnt spin freely, it was engaged right from the box!! That was what I was complaining about. Thats when Ol'Nice-N-Tight was going off implying that I didnt know what I was talking about.
    The whole thing still really makes me laugh. The look on his face when it exploded, and how he sulked back into the parts aisle in shame.

LoL, I wish there could be more days like that.

Jay.
    SemperFi!