Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thermastat totally out

Post Likes
    Hope you all can help me. I have a heat pump system (heat/ac) and everything is out, there's no display on the thermostat, the main breaker is not tripped. Its a Carrier system. I did have someone out about a week ago who told me to pull the fuses, right first, then left, did that but still doesn't work. Any help would be great thanks.
    Mary Ann
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    Many t-stats are completely battery powered with no common or power stealing - change the batteries.

Reset both breakers (air handler + heatpump) just in case something's locked out. Might as well change/clean the filter while you're at it.

If it still doesn't work, call for service.

Post Likes
    Batteries are fine, its a relativly new system. Its been freezing up because of constant running from the extremely hot and humid weather. I had a guy in last week who got it running right away, told me to pull the fuses and put them back....however, I'm not so sure this guy was on the up and up, he also said I need a new motor assy & module, told me I had to keep my ac on as low as it would go to keep the motor running all the time, well its a week later and its been cycling so thats not the problem, but froze up again today, water everywhere, I shut the ac down and then when I lost the display, no power to heat pump system at all, not tripped on main breaker and pulled the fuses at the unit itself. Any other help would be great.
    Thanks.
    Mary Ann

Post Likes
    if you pulled the fuses at the a/c disconect outside it wont effect the t-tsat in any way. you might have a bad fuse at the furnace. or the furnace doors are not on corectly.

Post Likes
    That could be so, I don't know squat....just looking for a way to reset it now like the tech did last week, any ideas?

Post Likes
    bad moter and module? is this a varable speed blower? if you are iceing up i would check the air filter.

Post Likes
    Yes its variable speed and I already changed the filter.

Post Likes
    Just need to know how that guy I paid $50 to reset it, any ideas?

Post Likes
    if he said its both, he is probly gessing thats the problem. those are verry expensive parts. might not be the problem at all. the blower is adjustable for cfm. might be set to low. i would get another opinion on your problem. at any rate are you setting the tstat below 70 and then gowing down that low befor iceing up?

Post Likes
    try cycling all the breakers and switches at the air handler yuor tstat is not getting power.

Post Likes
    From the description you gave from the tech that was at your residence... you better seek another company!

Post Likes
    Yes he said that was the problem and he was quick, this was a midnight fix it guy I wasn't too happy to call but all I could get in the evening hours. He quoted me $Pricing Rules for the job, told me to keep the ac as low as we could stand it so it wouldn't cycle off, he said that was where the problem was, the motor assy. Well its been cycling on and off for the past week and we do keep the ac low and its extremely humid out so we've been running the damn thing like crazy. He did fix it quick and I want to know how he did that, I'm sure I can do and we can get some comfort tonite. Here's the Carrier model #FVANF003 if this helps. Thanks to all.
    Mary Ann

[Edited by lusker on 08-05-2005 at 08:10 AM]

Post Likes
    Originally posted by jultzya
    From the description you gave from the tech that was at your residence... you better seek another company!
    this is the best advice you will get. lots of companys have 24hr. service if you cant wait till tomorow.

Post Likes
    First, it's against the site's rules to post pricing.

Second, running the unit non-stop is not going to keep it from freezing!

There is a more serious issue than a simple service call. Get a competent company out to diagnose and fix the real issue that the system has.

Post Likes
    thats about the right cost on that repair. how old is the air handler. is there a warrenty?

Post Likes
    Oh Yes that I know, that guy was looking for some business and on the worksheet where he wrote what was wrong, I had stated to him do not order parts, do not do anything, this still could be under warranty (of note: I couldn't get the company that installed to come out for a week, he came out that night and it was running). Yes with out any doubt this guy was shady, but my question still is, can I some how reset my ac like he did????????????? I have I think the installer company coming out tomorrow I'm not sure I canceled the appt from yesterday cause all was fine, now its not, ugg...what a pain in the ass!

Post Likes
    Forgot to mention on the worksheet when I said possible warranty, he scratched out any hint of an estimate.

Post Likes
    Julz,
    Well bite me, I'm only trying to get some help, if quoting some damn prices helps well then thats help....so bar me from this board.

I don't think that is the problem long run, obviously because its been cycling for the past week. It happened again when it refroze, we've had it on too low a temp and its been taxed without a doubt.

Post Likes
    sounds like a scam becarefull.

Post Likes
    You should have had the original company out on this anyway. They are the ones that installed it and should stand behind their products.

However, if the other guy messed something up... then that is on you. Then you can go after the other guy for screwing it up.

Thing that gets me is that you thought the guy was shady and was only their for a short time.

You told him not to order the parts or fix the unit... but you cancel the service call with the original installing company???????????????

Sorry, but that wasn't to smart.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in