Hey all,

Here's my issue:
    I have a finished basement and use a dehumidifier to keep the humidity down. (one that has a bucket that needs to be emptied - it's a Kenmore, probably 15 years old, with fake wood finish) This works fine, except that in the summer, the room is naturally cool, but when I run the dehumidifier, it heats up the room almost to the point where I would need an an air conditioner to keep the temperature comfortable.

The easy solution would be just to put a regular A/C in the window, but the problem is, the room is normally so cool, that the compresser would never run.

So, is there a dehumidifier out there that will suck out the moisture without heating the room? Maybe just a newer model? Or what about a portable air conditioner? Do these heat the room when in "dry" mode?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
    Thanks!

How about a dehumidifier that produces less heat. Also so make sure the dehumidistat shuts the unit off at <50%RH. Santa Fe Advance removes 2X the water per KW compared to your residential unit. Therefore 30-40% less heat.

Thanks for the suggestion teddy bear,

But I don't suppose there's anything out there in the sub $500 range that will do the trick, is there?

Anyone have experience using a portable air conditioner as a dehumidifier?

There is not enough cooling load in the basement to allow the a/c enough time to remove the moisture. TB