Thread: hvac costs for a high end custom home

Post Likes
    i know this is a broad question but can anyone guestimate for me the approx percentage of total cost range a first class forced air hvac system would be? ie if a house of 7000sf cost 3mm, would one expect the range of the hvac cost to be in the 2 to 4% area or something else.

Post Likes
    That's not something easily answered. Every house is different, world of difference in cost between types of equipment. Every location has different costs...

To me, high end would be infloor radiation for heat and heat pumps for cooling plus all the other bells & whistles. To others, it could be builder grade low efficiency equipment with ductboard & flex tangled all over the place!

Post Likes
    7,000 sg ft house and appears you want to nickle/dime the hvac. It happens alot and I never understand it. Talk to your GC, get some recomendations, interview some HVAC contractors. It's not just system design but installation. 3m dollar house it would suck to be cold all the time. Big difference in cost between different hvac systems.

Post Likes
    (never mind)

Post Likes
    I was always taught to expect 15% of the total cost for builder grade equipment...
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Yellow Dot
    I was always taught to expect 15% of the total cost for builder grade equipment...
    That's crazy. I just built a house last year on a fixed price contract and the HVAC costs were about 3% of the total.

15% would be $450,000 on the original poster's house just for the HVAC.

Post Likes
    What kind of equipment?
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Post Likes
    i'll do it for $425,000.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Originally posted by Yellow Dot
    What kind of equipment?
    Builder's grade (Trane), just as you mentioned, and a reasonable job on the ductwork based on other homes I've walked through.

[Edited by JoeSix on 08-04-2005 at 04:44 PM]

Post Likes

Hmm

I haven't had much of a problem dealing with HO's bldg true hi-end houses investing what it takes for a great operating system with features to max out comfort levels.

Now on the other hand what I call the pretend hi-end houses.
    You know the ones...5k for the front entry door , lots of oak trim & cabinets but decline an upgrade to a 2 stage furnace for the few hundred it will cost??
    "The Bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Post Likes
    In Florida four Trane 13.0 SEER HP systems (1 zone each) with VS air handlers for a 7000' new construction home would cost about $30 - 40K. Duct work can have a major impact on cost. Of course if your climate requires a furnance instead of / in addition to a heat pump, plan on spending a little more.

[Edited by travisfl on 08-04-2005 at 04:45 PM]

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Originally posted by travisfl
    In Florida four Trane 13.0 SEER HP systems (1 zone each) with VS air handlers for a 7000' new construction home would cost about $30 - 40K. Duct work can have a major impact on cost. Of course if your climate requires a furnance instead of / in addition to a heat pump, plan on spending a little more.

[Edited by travisfl on 08-04-2005 at 04:45 PM]

Lowballer!!LOL

I'd get a great zoning system on each of the four system,like Carrier's Infinity.Add some money in for zoning if it a forced air system.

Now if it's like the homes of Pro Athlete's in Florida,usually a 25 to chilled water system,can hanld eparties with 75 guests on the forth of July,etc., etc,then a few 5 of the total is in the ballpark.

Post Likes
    That would depend on weather the house is 3 mil because of fixtures, or sq ft.
    And how much comfort you want.

Post Likes
    I am bidding on a 20,000 sq ft house,yes 20,000 sq ft. The ho wants geothermal heatpumps with infloor heat in the whole house. I am half way through the bid and I am already over $200,000.
    We did a 7,000 sq. ft. house with infloor and gas furnaces for the a/c blower and reserve. It was well over $70,000.
    I don't know what the hell these people need these big friggin' houses for. Sorry, I got off the subject. The price all depends on the systems installed. By the way Baldie, we were requested to use ductboard in both of these houses for the insulation and accoustic properties.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

Post Likes

Estimating in the BIG Ball Park

Originally posted by durhas
    i know this is a broad question but can anyone guestimate for me the approx percentage of total cost range a first class forced air hvac system would be?
    ie if a house of 7000 sf cost 3mm,
    would one expect the range of the hvac cost to be in the 2 to 4% area or something else.
    Right.

$3,000,000
    x 0.03
    $90,000 In the Ball Park ... +/- 35%
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Dof3,
    Your market area will have a lot to determine the end price.
    Several yrs ago my equipment rep was involved with a 25,000 sf home. If I recall the largest HVAC Co. in central In. did the job. Combination of forced air & hydronics including the sidewalks and the 1/4 mile drive way with snow melt. The materials alone were over the amount you spoke of.

Some like the challenge of bidding those jobs. I personally rather have an enima. I spent a week with a plumbing co during chrunch time bidding a 10 acre under roof climate controlled and specific air exchange bldg. We didn't get it even though I had a supposed "lock" on the job. They took the plumbing portion."Somehow" I lost it to a large union shop that wanted the job.
    "The Bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in