Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

t527ed

Better reread original post.
    Pressures did not equalize
    Only high side was 150#
    Low side showed all the way around to retard

and gee what pressure do you think that may be????

Sounds to me like the compressor's shot. If it has an amp draw and it's not pumping.......either that or you put your low pressure gauge on the high side and now you need a new one,as the borlon(sp) tube is gone.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Or your not energizing the reversing valve and you are reading discharge pressure not suction pressure.

Running the heat pump in the heating mode (not energizing the reversing valve) in warm weather would certainly give you very high discharge pressure.

May not equalize if you are using a HSO TXV or LLS valve.
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

t527

I took 'retard' to mean 'in a vacuum'. I read that the suction is in a vacuum while the head is 150#. If the pressures were equal, then the low pressure would not be 'retarded'. I could be wrong though.

Richard

retard on the low side guage is the area above 120lbs that the guage is retarded to prevent damage to guage from higher pressures.

Re: t527

Originally posted by bornriding
    I took 'retard' to mean 'in a vacuum'. I read that the suction is in a vacuum while the head is 150#. If the pressures were equal, then the low pressure would not be 'retarded'. I could be wrong hough.

Richard
    On my gages retard is over 120psi. Also he said it went all the way around to retard.

Chill

Yes, with the entire unit off, the low side guage goes all the way around to retard as soon as i hook it up and the high shows 150# but when I have the t'stat turned on and i hear the reversing valve coil click. Then after a few mins the condensor comes on and the compressor hums but no change in guage pressure.

thanks again all for all your help and suggestions

Overkill:

you asked a question and more than one person(THAT KNOWS HEAT PUMPS) and how they work have told you it is out of refrigerant, If it were me , I either would listen to them or change the 4-way valve (reversing valve) , and the compressor and the condenser coil and the fan ....spend as much money as you can and then replace the charge.

Originally posted by ct2
    Overkill:

you asked a question and more than one person(THAT KNOWS HEAT PUMPS) and how they work have told you it is out of refrigerant,
    Maybe I am reading this thread wrong...

How can you have 150# head, suction retarded (120 plus) and be out of refrigerant?
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

Originally posted by hvac r us 2
    Originally posted by ct2
    Overkill:

you asked a question and more than one person(THAT KNOWS HEAT PUMPS) and how they work have told you it is out of refrigerant,
    Maybe I am reading this thread wrong...

How can you have 150# head, suction retarded (120 plus) and be out of refrigerant?
    Exactly what I was wondering.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

you say with it off your gauge does to retard. high is on 150. if i understand correctly it is standing presure. when you turn it on the compressor just hums and the gauges dont change at all. does it go off on overload
    sounds like some one way over charged this unit. try to recover a few pounds and see what happens

I apologize to all for my error. Have not heard the term retard used so I was guessing at its meaning.
    With pressures equalized - yur right could not be empty.
    I would then have to agree with Smokin, compressor runn9ng but not pumping - replace compressor.
    Sorry for the incorrect post,
    and to '527' - a special apology
    Richard

[Edited by bornriding on 08-04-2005 at 06:35 PM]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast