Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    No it does not go off on overload. He measured an amp draw of half the rla. while it is running. Pump it down and that should tell you something. I think its a bad valve plate.

compressor comes on but low side shows retard

Thanks to all for your help. Checked the unit again it was the compressor, Not the reversing valve. Not low on freon. Compressor would come on and humm but not pump. Changed compressor and wahooo. 4 hours after its cooool in the house. Thanks to all for your help and pointing me in the right direction!

Oh boy.

I can only imagine that if the OP could not initally determine why gauge pressures being equalized were due to a non-running compressor, how well the replacement of the compressor went.

Find cause of why compressor failed? Was it a burnout? Was a proper cleanup done? New liquid line drier (and suction line drier if burnout) installed? Evacuated to 500 microns and recharged to proper refrigerant level?

• Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Shophound, don't you think that was an unusual problem? Compressor running, drawing half the RLA and no suction or pressure. Looked like bad valve plate to me, but I never seen one that bad.

Originally posted by Chill
    Shophound, don't you think that was an unusual problem? Compressor running, drawing half the RLA and no suction or pressure. Looked like bad valve plate to me, but I never seen one that bad.
    My bad. I missed where he said "compressor came on and humm but not pump".

I'll take your call on this one. I repent of my hastiness with sackcloth and ashes.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

I hope we didn't hurt his feelings, he erased his original post. ???

Originally posted by shophound
    Originally posted by Chill
    My bad. I missed where he said "compressor came on and humm but not pump".

Dont feel bad I missed that part also. This thread was hard to understand IMO, sounds like most of the phone calls I get! lol

The again I am on cold medication..no excuse for you other guys! LOL
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

If he can't figure out the gauges how in the hell can he do a decent job on compressor replacement? Scares the hell out of me what some people will do to there equip.
    "Go big or Go Home"

My God, this post went 3 pages allready, too funny!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123