I am having my wood floors resanded and refinished tomorrow. Wood contractor said to have the air conditioner going while the oil poly is drying so that it dries faster/better (less humidity?).

I am concerned that the wood dust gets airborne and into the supply vents. Should I cover them up while the floors are being resanded? Then, take down the cover when the poly is drying? Problem is, even if I do this, I won't be around to take the cover down after the resanding. And, I don't know if they'll do it for me.

So, question is this - am I being a worry wort in thinking that the wood dust is going to get into the supply vents? Have any of you seen supply vents messed up by dust?

I would worry more about the return duct. When that system kicks on and starts sucking in that dust. You can vac out the supply vents. You might want to put filter material over the returns and change your filter.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

Dof3 is correct. I would put filter material in my return air grilles and change the filters in you system after the finish has dried. I would also run my blower/fan constantly during this prcess to prevent dust entering them and also to have the finish dry faster.

I wouldn't run the system. We had a repeat service call for poly smell from a/c system.

I had to pump down a/c, pull the coil from system and clean it. Had to disassemble new frunace and pull heat exchanger and wash it,too. It seems everysurface in the equipment was coverd with dust and whatever from the floor refinishers, and when the systme ran it "burned off" the chemicals that were deposited in the system.

First clue was all the poly that dripped into the floor boots. They claimed the sanding was done BEFORE the new system- duct and all- was installed
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Installed a new 3M filtrete - I know some people hate these - just not sure why. No returns in the room - one central return in the ceiling above the stairs. I have a zip-wall dust barrier and hopefully it will be used during the sanding process. No returns in the floor for poly to drip into - so hopefully I can comply with their wishes of turning on a/c while floor is drying and not have a poly smell. Should I just tell him that my hvac guy warned me against using the a/c to avoid a poly smell (even if I don't have any register/supply vents on the floor that poly can drip into)?

Thanks.

Why is it contractors and subs who need a/c or heat always want to trash peoples machines (not these guys in particular)?

They KNOW they need a set temp, so shouldn't they provide that equipment, too? They provide materials and tools. If the weather's bad, masons go home till they can work on laying brick again.

I had to wrap a new airhandler last week because the painter was coming- and the gc knew he was a sloppy worker. Maybe he should earn his keep and straighten out the painter on HIS responsibility?

Just had to rant on one of my pet peeves.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated