Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Cool

Why not put in a new unit and wire the disconnect to the cage? When the screaming begins call the Po Po.

Or better yet.... No Body = No Case.

You can't really tell from the pics, but I think they did get bit by the 240V. Just the way the power wires were left and such leads me to believe as much. I hope they did anyway.

Have actually thought of running some sort of "deterrent" like voltage through the cage, but that could make a up and coming company go down the tubes real fast after the first lawsuit
    If we didn't do this what would we do for fun?

Hey, where's the run-cap bandit when you need him? A run-cap (or better, kick-start) would make a great addition to the cage, fully charged, of course.

Payson,
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing on those flea-bay RTUs.. 5 years my ass. A disconnect doesn't even rust out that bad on the beach after 5 years. Maybe they meant "haven't been used in 5 years"

"You can't really tell from the pics, but I think they did get bit by the 240V. Just the way the power wires were left and such leads me to believe as much. I hope they did anyway."

LoL, nothing like a crackhead with a new hairdoooo, who knows they probably got off on the jolt, straightened them up for a bit until the next needle party.

Hmm

Just imagine - all the hard work and ingenuity that guy put into getting that coil. If he applied it to a career......

I know that condenser! That was a Gibson, never seen one actually do it's job as good as this one.
    Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so.
    -Robert Green Ingersoll

"Fear falls hard like rain again . . ."

Originally posted by atufano

I know that condenser! That was a Gibson, never seen one actually do it's job as good as this one.
    Very Good you win the grand prize - Never even had a call back on any that I have installed.

Once again these units are in a "bad" part of town so a trane, carrier, rheem, etc... would not last 10 min after leaving the jobsight. Was on another job where they actually hooked a car / truck to the cage to pull it and get it out of the way. That one was pretty interesting - wish I was able to get pics of that one.
    If we didn't do this what would we do for fun?

That poor Nordyne!

(Hey, can you get me the fan motor...? )

Thumbs up

simmler storie
    instaling 4 rheem a/cs on 4 plex. " new construction". i set all 4 condencers and sodered them in and left for the day. come back the next day to finish up to find some one had used a sawsall to cut the lines and take the whole unit. 6 mo. later the guy that bought one of the stolen condencers called the local parts house looking for an evap. coil and warrentied suction line valve because his was damaged when he bought this new condencer. the parts house checked the ser.# and found it to be the one stolen from me.

Originally posted by lonestarheir
    Originally posted by atufano

Very Good you win the grand prize - Never even had a call back on any that I have installed.

Once again these units are in a "bad" part of town so a trane, carrier, rheem, etc... would not last 10 min after leaving the jobsight. Was on another job where they actually hooked a car / truck to the cage to pull it and get it out of the way. That one was pretty interesting - wish I was able to get pics of that one.
    Most of the Gibsons that I come across are improperly installed. Because they are cheap (price) and anyone who installs them don't want to pay too much for their lack on intelligence.
    As with any equipment that is installed properly, will work fine. I usually find them on cheap contractor houses, you know, the 500k-1mil homes. They contract a plumber to install them and they're doomed from the second they are out of the crate.

I come across Rheems, York, Etc... Hell, I even came across an Aire Pure condenser, installed on a 7/8 lineset-3/4 from the cond. They had a *USED* York furnace (full sized) in the attic. They cut away the sheetrock to get it up there. Slapped on a flat evap, 50/50 soldered the ref. lines, and it's got a 16" return, 3-4", 6-6", 4-7" supplies. All the supply ducts have return grills on them. None of the supplies or return in the attic is either taped or zip tied. I tried to be a nice guy and get them through a really tough week, but after that the 50/50 gave out on the liq. line and I put the axe to the system. There are some things worth repairing, others are not even worth my time. Hopefully they go with the new system I bid them. They purchased the home with the doomed A/C in it during the winter, so they had no clue what they bought until i showed up. Feel bad for new home owners who pay good money for home inspectors who can't tell a hack system from a good system.
    Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so.
    -Robert Green Ingersoll

Damn, I have never seen a cage nor have I ever seen anything stolen on a system.I hope they have reclaim units,I would be trying to video tape one of these clowns and turn him into the EPA.We can't vent an ounce but these guys can vent the whole charge!

Originally posted by acjourneyman
    Damn, I have never seen a cage nor have I ever seen anything stolen on a system.I hope they have reclaim units,I would be trying to video tape one of these clowns and turn him into the EPA.We can't vent an ounce but these guys can vent the whole charge!
    I like to see the video of them being careful to steal something like that.

Opening scene, hooded man carrying 150 lbs of equipment, hooks up his recovery machine, tank and guages. Asks the h/o for an extension cord. Recovers the refrigerant, then takes the time to remove only the coil through a cage. Packs up his tools and leaves under the cover of darkness never to be seen again, except for the warranty.
    -Robert Green Ingersoll

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast