Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally posted by swampfox
    Cocaine is a helluva drug
    Exactly!

Payson,

The problem I would have waiting for them at the recycler's is that there are about 10 of them within a 2 mile radius from this house. I know the homeowner is getting tired of having to patch all of the sheetrock that I have to tear out to replace the lineset that was stolen or ripped out of the wall. Actually not to long ago had someone steal lineset and evap coil from one of these houses.

There is a liquor store just off the freeway from this house that has all of their pu's caged. I will try to take a picture of it tomorrow, if I go by there.
    If we didn't do this what would we do for fun?

That condenser must have thought that it was all hard and dissed the homies from behind the bars. So they murked the foo and ganked its bling bling coil to get scratch for blunts. "That'll teach da punk from chillin in our hood."

Originally posted by billg
    That condenser must have thought that it was all hard and dissed the homies from behind the bars. So they murked the foo and ganked its bling bling coil to get scratch for blunts. "That'll teach da punk from chillin in our hood."

That is quite possible
    If we didn't do this what would we do for fun?

Here in Oregon, The crazy tweeaker steal stuff like that all the time. Actually, for some reason they like the wiring better... (seems like more work, but whatever)

We have had the condenser stoled from in front of our shop three times now...

there recently was a story in the news about a couple that got caught with a peice of a bridge, and anything aluminum including street signs are all fair game apparently...

Last time i was at the recycler with my copper scraps, it was only worth something like $1.56 a pound.... thats alot of work to get maybe $10 for a coil.... whatever.

Dat's some funny Chit! Brah... Actually, here in Canada, in some of the larger centers where crime is only read about in books , they typically cage out door units to keep kids (Young teens) from messing with them. But so far, around here, there are other easier methods of obtaining the coin to fund their habits. Most people around here, have NO IDEA what's valuable in a Condensing unit or not.

Oh... that thats a pretty freaky bit going on in the pics, you'd think you'd see aluminum bit's all over the place as they yanked and tore the condenser through the cage....

Maybe it was an 'inside' job!
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

WTF.

1) I've never seen a cage for a condenser
    2) they left the brand new fan motor? that's got to be worth more than the copper.
    3) Why didn't they just take the whole thing and put it up on Ebay?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/TRANE-15-TON-AIR...QQcmdZViewItem

4) This sounds like the perfect neighborhood for a few extra 240v wires to be laying around inside the condenser...or hell, electrify the lineset. That'll teach 'em.

5) Slap a Goodman sticker on the side of your car & reinstall the unit at some schmuck's house and charge $5k for it.

[Edited by tpa-fl on 08-04-2005 at 02:26 AM]

On construction sites around Oakland ca. they have gotten so bad that they actually put their tools and equipment in locked vans and have the CRANE lift it up in the air and leave it that way untill the crew returns for work.

Here in sac, last year our company did an apt complex and before the complex was finished they had to replace evey apts condenser. They were all stolen

bucka-pound bandit hehehe
    I work with the Chiller Whisperer...

I replaced a bunch of them that have been stolen myself--but have never replaced one, that didnt have a disconnect by it....So I guess if they can't shut off the power then they leave them alone.

Originally posted by lonestarheir
    Payson,

The problem I would have waiting for them at the recycler's is that there are about 10 of them within a 2 mile radius from this house. I know the homeowner is getting tired of having to patch all of the sheetrock that I have to tear out to replace the lineset that was stolen or ripped out of the wall. Actually not to long ago had someone steal lineset and evap coil from one of these houses.

There is a liquor store just off the freeway from this house that has all of their pu's caged. I will try to take a picture of it tomorrow, if I go by there.
    Well that sucks.
    More pix would be cool. Always a blast seeing what people come up with. It's funny UNTIL you have to work on that piece of equipment!

tpl-fl, these pics form that ebay auction you posted make me laugh...

Says "Used for 5 YEARS. Excellent condition"

Hmm.. look a little older than 5 years!

Looking at the sticker...
    More like 12 years old!

And depending on the owner and/or business. here in Phoenix sometimes 12 years is IT for a RTU!

It says they were "only used for 5 years." I wonder which five, the first five is what it looks like.

I say put a new condenser in that cage. Then rig an alarm that will go off inside the house when someone touches the unit. When the alarm goes off, tell the tenent to come out with the shot gun.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast