Hello:
    I recently had installed a new hot air furnace, that also has an Evaporator section in it for the house air conditioning.
    It is a: Trane TUD 120 R 9V5K

Last night, a thunder storm passed thru the area.
    Nothing really major; have certainly seen worse.
    A bit of lightning, etc.

Lights flickered for a few seconds.
    This is the first time since the new installation that we had this type of storm.

Anyway, the main circuit board in the furnace fried.

Surprisingly, nothing else in the house suffered any damage, whatsoever.
    Even the PC's still work. Of course most of the other items
    in the house are plugged into power extension strips with overvoltage and spike protection; perhaps this saved them ? Hard to know for sure, though.

The furnace (110 V) is, of course, hard wired to the house wiring via a dedicated circuit breaker.

My questions are:

Are these Trane circuit boards overly succeptible to these types of things and/or are they known to get fried "fairly often" ?

Would really hate to have it happen again.

Is there any kind of circuit breaker we can change to that has this spike and overvoltage protection ?

Or, what might you folks recommend ?

Much thanks,
    Bob

I get a few service calls for bad control boards after just about every thunderstorm around here, and we get a LOT of thunderstorms here in north Texas.
    The failures have no real brand specific patern, they are all vulnerable.

You should look into whole house surge protection. Depending on your area, your electric provider may install it for minimal cost, or you can hire an electrician to install it.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

boards

Trane has a problem with their circuit boards . Ive had 3 boards in my own unit at home . They burn out on the fan side . I replaced mine with a different brand the last time . mines a 2000 model / 80 percent . If you remove the board , you will see the burnt hole in the back . bh
    My avatar is a picture of a Goodman Silencer .....These were commonly used in Goodman country ....Photos by hvac tech ( PaysonHVAC )

bob hubbard, is your furnace a XV80?

There have been problems with the boards in the single stage XB, XE and XR80 furnaces, wich I suspect is what you have.

The origonal poster has an XV80 with 2 stage heating and a varriable speed blower. There hasn't really been a problem with the control boards in those.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

board

Yup , single stage 80 is what i have
    My avatar is a picture of a Goodman Silencer .....These were commonly used in Goodman country ....Photos by hvac tech ( PaysonHVAC )