Even though the mercury says 90* even as the sun begins to set, I was wondering about what to do for a northeast winter? I have a Trane attic system (AC only). Do I just turn the thermostat off? (seperate from heat thermostat). I was told by the installer that I shouldnt shut the compressor's outside disconnect box off or the circuit breaker because my compressor has some type of warmer (Trane XL14i). Any info would be helpful.

You can turn the disconnect off for the winter as long as you turn it back on at least 24-hours before you use the AC for the first time next spring.

Yes, there is a compressor crankcase heater on many compressors. It is used to drive the liquid refrigerant out of the compressor oil.

The 24-hour rule is in the service and installation literature for those systems that employ crankcase heaters.

better off to shut breaker off for winter, heaters tend to attract critters that like to build nests along side nice warm compressor. just remember to turn breaker on 24 hrs before running as Norm said.

Another good reason to shut the 240v breaker off for the off-season is that it's consuming hydro non-stop all winter long if left on. On some systems it may be a fair draw and add quite a bit to your bill.
    Question authority!

Thanks for the advice all

Im not sure I understand what hydro is? Do you mean electricity (hydroelectric)?