+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air purifiers that diffuse reactive oxygen species potentially cause DNA damage

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Air purifiers that diffuse reactive oxygen species potentially cause DNA damage

Air purifiers that diffuse reactive oxygen species potentially cause DNA damage in the Lung

Several appliance manufacturers have recently released new type air purifiers that can disinfect bacteria, fungi and viruses by diffusing reactive oxygen species (ROS) into the air. In this study, mice were exposed to the outlet air from each of 3 air purifiers from different manufacturers (A, B, C), and the lung was examined for DNA damage, lipid peroxidation and histopathology to confirm the safety of these air purifiers.
    http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jts/35/6/929/_pdf
    The premise of ventilation is that the OA is clean or of sufficient quality to be used for dilution. Traditional ventilation is somewhat being threatened by the fact that the EPA is changing the requirements for outdoor air quality which is creating non-attainment zones in what is now becoming a significant portion of the country. That means that buildings in those areas will need to clean up the OA before they bring it into the building.
    www.genesisair.com
    Genesis Air Inc.

Post Likes
    Good job spotting that paper. Translation: you may get lung cancer if you use those devices. I can see lawsuits coming... It is unsurprising that chemicals toxic to bacteria have some sort of deleterious effect when breathed.
    -If you won't turn it on then nothing else matters.

Post Likes
    You just can't broadcast something into an occupied space and not expect consequences. With our Commercial PCO systems that we design and build for Trane we produce these same hydroxyals but they have a fraction of a second of life span because they can not survive with out an energy source. So everything transpires with- in a 1/8 of an inch from the TIO2 media. Not all PCO systems are the same. These systems that broadcast these radicals and peroxides into an occupied space are going to have to pay the piper at some point.
    We have been drilled by the design engineers to back our systems efficiencies and its safety. I guess that's why ROA manufactures target the end users and contractors instead of the engineers. I can't even begin to tell people some of the critical places we have equipment going into right now.
    The premise of ventilation is that the OA is clean or of sufficient quality to be used for dilution. Traditional ventilation is somewhat being threatened by the fact that the EPA is changing the requirements for outdoor air quality which is creating non-attainment zones in what is now becoming a significant portion of the country. That means that buildings in those areas will need to clean up the OA before they bring it into the building.
    www.genesisair.com
    Genesis Air Inc.

Post Likes
    I am just about to install a Lennox PureAir which is a PCO system. Should I be concerned about this?

Post Likes
    From what genesis said in this last post and previously, my guess is that it's fine. My understanding is that it's like combustion engines -- there are clean ones and dirty ones. Genesis stated previously that the Lennox PCO was a good one, which I presume means it is fairly "clean".

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pmeunier View Post
    From what genesis said in this last post and previously, my guess is that it's fine. My understanding is that it's like combustion engines -- there are clean ones and dirty ones. Genesis stated previously that the Lennox PCO was a good one, which I presume means it is fairly "clean".
    Hydroxyl radicals only have a life of 10 to the negative 9th or .000000001 seconds. When you are broadcasting Ions into a space there is continual production of radicals. When there are no ions being produced from the energy source like a true PCO system is suppose to be the hydroxyl radicals only survive fractions of an inch off of the catalyst at 500 fpm. The type UV lamps that Lennox uses will not produce ozone or ions. The difference in us an Lennox is the catalyst efficiency and energy source. We use a lamp that produces UVC only to get the highest energy source with out producing ozone to get a more germicidal effect. Lennox uses a combination of UVA and UVB lamps to activate their catalyst. When you dope a catalyst you can lower the amount of energy that is needed to activate it. But there will be consequences of intermediaries when you go below 254 nm with the lamps or energy source. Lennox's Pure Indoor Air is a great well manufactured residential product. Someday maybe we will do something targeting residential but for now we are geared toward the commercial, industrial market.
    www.genesisair.com
    Genesis Air Inc.

Post Likes
    g and pm
    Interesting article. As you may have guessed I am not surprised by its conclusions. I have been saying for years that the release of Reative Oxygen Species (ROS) in indoor spaces is not a good idea. This holds true for ozone, hydroxyl radicals or whatever. If it can attack living proteins such as mold or bacteria, it can also attack human tissues (and DNA).

The problem with all of the indoor air ROS reactions is that they are neither complete or controllable. The reason why molecules like hydroxyl radicals and ozone or so reactive is that they are unstable ie. they have unpaired atoms (or charges). While it is true that hydroxyl radicals are very short lived in and of themselves, it is the byproducts they create that can cause the problem. In fact,these byproducts can often be more dangerous than their precursors.

For example, in this study the authors state that the attack of the mouse DNA may actually be a result of the byproducts such as alkylperoxyl radicals, alkoxyl radicals and reactive carbonyls and not the hydroxyl radicals. Many of the reactions of ROS with other substances occur by "stealing" an atom from a stable molecule. The result is that the once stable molecule now becomes unstable and reactive. This cascading effect may take place for a relatively long period of time.

Another unintended consequence is that the reactions lead to stable but undesirable substances such as formaldehyde.

My prediction is that other researchers will be finding more results like this study in the future.

Post Likes
    Breathe easy
    So from what I see, these studies are condemning the RGF Guardian air and REME air purifiers. What about the GPS system?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by genesis View Post
    Hydroxyl radicals only have a life of 10 to the negative 9th or .000000001 seconds. When you are broadcasting Ions into a space there is continual production of radicals. ...
    How can ions generate radicals? Aren't radicals more reactive, therefore having more energy than ions?

Post Likes
    When you read studies like this you can see someone was on a mission to discredit ROS and ignor the benefits. The mice where immature. The test instruments to measure ozone were like 1980's and then stated they were non-conclusive. I think Japan has bigger problems than ROS.

I think I saw a study once that stated driving a vehicle can potentially cause accidents. Another one that said going into a swimming pool can potentially cause drowning.

The only two things that I can think of as far as DNA damage is you can't be convicted of a crime with DNA as evidence and you won't be able to prove who your parents are.

I guess the Japanese medical and pharmaceutical fields are worried about lost income just like this country. Don't want to cure anything, just keep on treating it.
    captain CO

11. Likes dewebsign liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pmeunier View Post
    How can ions generate radicals? Aren't radicals more reactive, therefore having more energy than ions?
    Global Plasma Solutions’ bi-polar ionization generator creates cold plasma
    discharge that consists of positive ions (H+) and negative ions (O2
    –) from water vapor in the air. These ions have the property of clustering around microparticles and gases, and thus, they surround harmful substances such as airborne mold, virus, bacteria, volatile organic compounds and allergens. At that point, a chemical reaction occurs on the cell membrane surface and they are transformed into OH radicals, a powerfully active but
    unstable material, which robs the harmful substance of a hydrogen atom (H). As a result, they are inactivated by severing the protein on the cell membrane, opening holes. The OH radicals instantly bond with the removed hydrogen (H), forming water vapor (H2O), and return to the air.
    http://www.globalplasmasolutions.com...asma%20Kill.pd
    www.genesisair.com
    Genesis Air Inc.

Post Likes
    Thought I would bump this, I got a phone call from a very distinguished gentleman the other day from the message board here discussing this very subject.
    www.genesisair.com
    Genesis Air Inc.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by genesis View Post
    Thought I would bump this, I got a phone call from a very distinguished gentleman the other day from the message board here discussing this very subject.
    Interesting, we just had a salesman here trying to get us to sell the ActiveTek.

What was he disgruntled about?

Post Likes
    Name:  are you searching for IAQ.jpg
Views: 2536
Size:  89.1 KB

Post Likes
    What is this?

A cheap advertisement for a bad product.

Sickening!

Post Likes
    what is title of article?
    link brings me to page that is having problems.
    if you'll post the title, I can do a site search for it.

thanks in advance.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by energy_rater_La View Post

thanks in advance.
    http://www.globalplasmasolutions.com/
    Rater contact A of BR (Clay Lloyd)
    That's who I have been talking to....
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by energy_rater_La View Post

thanks in advance.
    Here is an updated link. I started this post a while back.
    https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article.../35_6_929/_pdf
    www.genesisair.com
    Genesis Air Inc.

Post Likes

Japanese study

Genesis
    Were the units tested revealed to open records? From what I gather the GPS system shows no negative effects from the study.

Post Likes
    Genesis will you post all the case studies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in