Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ever hit a locked scroll to bring it back?

Only worked on this liebert system for a short time so no models or serial numbers. Its a split air cooled system with a small Copeland scroll compressor. When i got to the call the comp was out on thermal overload. After it cooled it ran but sounded terrible then continued to lock out on thermals again. When it came back the second time I tried to cycle it on and off to see what it would do and it ran for about 30 sec and then locked. Was pulling about 98 amps and LRA IS 120 amp. Figured the compressor was done. Liebert did the start up so they returned to check it out. I dont work for this company full time but was told the next day Liebert came out and he hit the compressor with a hammer and now it runs great. I never heard of doing this have you?? Maybe this is something you could do once in a while depending on the situation. Any input greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hit it with a hammer? Never heard of that service technique.

I assume you checked rotation of the compressor motor when you were there the first time?

anybody check the oil level especially on a split system?if it came in short on the oil charge from the factory the system wet down might of dropped it to where it might lock up...it will do it again..was the paint discolored on the top of the compressor?...megger the windings if you have a tool
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px5YcOeQB4I

From what I was told the system was running for about 3 months so I'm assuming rotation is ok. It serve's a computer room. Dont think its any larger than a 5 ton and line-set is only one floor not sure if ahu is above or below compressor. Could this comp. actually make it? Wher could I pick up a megger? I looked online seems like they are a few hundred dollars. Which one do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by RDF420 View Post
    That's exactly how the Fonz would handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by RCAVH View Post
    Only worked on this liebert system for a short time so no models or serial numbers. Its a split air cooled system with a small Copeland scroll compressor. When i got to the call the comp was out on thermal overload. After it cooled it ran but sounded terrible then continued to lock out on thermals again. When it came back the second time I tried to cycle it on and off to see what it would do and it ran for about 30 sec and then locked. Was pulling about 98 amps and LRA IS 120 amp. Figured the compressor was done. Liebert did the start up so they returned to check it out. I dont work for this company full time but was told the next day Liebert came out and he hit the compressor with a hammer and now it runs great. I never heard of doing this have you?? Maybe this is something you could do once in a while depending on the situation. Any input greatly appreciated. Thanks
    I've knocked a tin can loose with a chunk of wood a couple times, but only to buy the refrigerated product a little time while I picked up replacement pump. Never used it as a repair strategy.

If you've got a 3 month old compressor tripping on thermal overload, pulling that many amps, and locking up - I assure you the problem is not fixed.
    "The problem is the average person isnt tuned in to lifelong learning, or going to seminars and so forth. If the information is not on television, and its not in the movies they watch, and its not in the few books that they buy, they dont get it" - Jack Canfield

The scrolls weak link rest assured bearing trouble you have.

I had a supply house tech rep come out to a new Rheem install when they first started using scrolls, and watched as he had me start the unit while he had the compressor end lifted about 6" or so in the air.
    I started it, he dropped it and the compressor worked. (It had previously been locked up)

I've used a hammer to break em loose. Reversing rotation for a couple seconds will also break em loose. This should only be done to get the customer out of a jam until the new compressor can be installed. You mentioned in your first post that the compressor started and sounded terrible. Sounds like bad bearings due to lack of oil return to the compressor. The refrigerant piping installation needs to be checked.

Smile

Are you sure he didn't hit his head with a hammer? LOL!!
    "My hands are for sale"

Quote Originally Posted by markettech View Post
    I've knocked a tin can loose with a chunk of wood a couple times, but only to buy the refrigerated product a little time while I picked up replacement pump. Never used it as a repair strategy.

If you've got a 3 month old compressor tripping on thermal overload, pulling that many amps, and locking up - I assure you the problem is not fixed.
    I remember a call from a manufacturer on a warranty pump once.

Guy claimed they weren't paying the warranty because he had th compressor running.

How'd you do that?

Hit it with a hammer.

Shut it off and try again.

They paid.

Quote Originally Posted by RDF420 View Post

I assume you checked rotation of the compressor motor when you were there the first time?
    a Scroll only goes one direction

Nah, scrolls will run backwards if it's three phase and legs are wrong. Makes a horrible noise and won't even act like it is working right though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast