Earlier this summer, I had written about my Trane XL14i system, regarding Comfort-R, jumper settings, and humidity. The technician had made several changes
    and the system seems to be running better
    1) jumpered Y to O for Comfort-R
    2) slowed down the blower motor to 350cfm
    3) adjusted dampers to equalize upstairs and downstairs airflow

The system has no problem cooling the house to 72-73 degrees on hot 90+ days. I have found that the humidity level much lower when the fan is running in the auto position as opposed to on - 48-50% vs 58-62% - I notice water in the pipe from the air handler that leads to the outside gutter for drainage. I have never seen any water in the safety pan underneath the airhandler. Could slow drainage account for such a difference in humidity level?

I have been outside more the last few weeks and have noticed the compressor making a loud grrrrr sound when it first starts up (about 5 -10 seconds). It quiets right down and then all you hear is the fan. You don't hear it in the house, and I really never noticed it before. Is this normal? Didn't want to call the technician and take him away from someone whose system is not running at all.

Fan on will increase house humidity.

On a scroll, they can be a bit noisy for the first 5-10 seconds and quiet down. Doesn't sound like anything to worry about.