AC and Furnace Compatiblity

One bidders is proposing a Trane XC95m furnace and an XL15i AC; 3.5 ton and matching coil. Another is proposing a Lennox XC14 AC and G61V Gas Furnace. The second suggested when I asked for a comparison that the only difference is that the g61v has a 2 stg gas valve and the xc95 has a modulating gas valve. The ac's have the same SEER rating. However the XC95 and XL15i are not compatible w/ one another. The proper matchup would be an XL16c but I would not recommend that matchup because a 2 stg compressor in a non-zoned 2 story application is a comfort problem waiting to happen. I currently have a York 3.5T AC and Diamond Furnace. The AC isn't worth repairing; however, I'm leaning towards replacing both.

Is it true that the XC95m and XL15i are not compatible?

Thanks, Jim

Why can't the Trane mod be used with a 15i? There are ratings for them and that's the bible. Trane wouldn't have submitted them if they didn't want them used together.

Now, you can't use a heat pump with a mod and communicating control, which is what you need if you want to properly control the modulation. But the single stage cooling only unit is fine.

The XL16i is no longer communicating so if you went with it, you'd have to use a mechanical stat on the mod and not properly modulate.

If you aren't using the communicating control, don't bother with the mod, go with the XV95 and 2 stage stat.

"Why can't the Trane mod be used with a 15i?" Exactly what I'm trying to determine. The Lennox bidder also does Trane. There's a substantial price difference on the 2 different packages, so I'm trying to determine who is giving me the straight scoop on what will work for me. The Trane website tells you to talk to a dealer to match the systems. So one Trane dealer is telling me something that contradicts the other. The website doesn't suggest that the 15i is a communicating system, which is why I'm thinking the other guy said they weren't compatible and suggested that the XL16c was the correct match.

I'm not as concerned with the price difference as I am in determining which dealer is giving me the straight scoop.

XL16c is a packed unit. The XL16i is a split 2 stage A/C. BUT, in order to use that with the XM95, you'd have to skip the communicating control which means reduced comfort. To properly modulate the furnace based on home needs, you need that control. But it only communicates with the 20i outdoor unit. It will work with single stage cooling units like the 15i. Only exception is an old 16i from a couple years ago. Briefly they did put a communicating board in the 16i but dropped it. You really should use the CONT900 control on that furnace.