Will the 2006 requiremnts for 13 SEER on replacement units cause a reduction in prices of 13 SEER systems?

Will there be a "fire sale" of 10-12 SEER equipment starting soon?

I have 2 Heat Pumps that need some work. One system (1 year old condenser unit, 16 yo air handler) needs a new evaporator coil. I am thinking of replacing the entire air handler unit with a 12 SEER to match the condenser. Am I messing myself up by keeping this system at 12 SEER if I can't get parts for it in the future?

Other unit (16 yo) has a slow leak in the evap coil. I am thinking about nursing this along until something major blows, hopefully I can get 2-3 more years out of this system. By then the 13 SEER systems may have come down in price.

I also would like to see how the R-22, R-410, or other new refrigerant situation shakes out.

All comments, thoughts, suggestions appreciated.

Cool

Two things you might consider,most manufacturers currently offer "value line or builders grade product" and "main line or premium equipment".What is about to happen is that there will no longer be 12seer mainline equipment.So in other words people who live in geographic locations(such as the midwest)where the cooling season historically is much shorter than the heating season(800average cooling hours versus 2500 average heating hours)will need to make a decision on quality versus no additional efficiencey.So in affect a product not economicaly mandated by need will be imposed by legislation.Will 13 seer come down in price?An argument might be made that quantity sales may reduce price,and certainly we will see entry level product in 13seer become available.Most of the contractors have had less than stellar performance from these units in that in a quest for the lowest cost many questionable substitutions take precedent.If you want the best deal buy 12seer now,start saving money now,and receive a level of quality that you will pay dearly for in the near future.
    Ethics are as important as education.

With 13 SEER equipment being the entry level equipment of which most of the systems installed for quite a while will be, it will come down in price.

It will also come down in features. You will be seeing more 13 SEER equipment with minimal features and less warranty while the upgraded equipment will have the better features and better warranties.

R410a is the refrigerant of choice in the U.S. and unless something catastrophic happens, R410a is what we are all going to be working with. Also, get used to variable speed blowers because they are the quickest and easiest way to increase the SEER rating of any system.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

bottom line in my opinion only.

13 seer prices on currently available equipment will not fall. (neither will labor rates)builders models will certaintly become available, at a lower cost and quality.

R-410(a) prices will not fall until a better, more eviromentally friendly refrigerant is developed. R-22 will still be around until 2025, as of today.

10 and 12 seer prices will increase slightly until all stock is sold. the 13 seer mandate grandfathers any units produced prior to the january date. (though from what i have heard, most major manufacturers will cease production after the summer run.)

depending on your climate (temps. and humidity levels), electric rates and payback time on higher seer equipment, it may be wise to do something now.

good luck

Equipment manufacturers have already started introducing base 13 SEER units which are less expensive then what we are currently used to.

York was the first to come out with a value priced 13 SEER. Amana has the Destinction line of value priced equipment. Goodman has the CRT 13 SEER which is the CLT with a stamped top rather then a wire grill top and other niceties eliminated.

One thing that will not be as prevelant will be the amount of higher SEER equipment sold as opposed to the amount of base 13 SEER equipment being sold. It is more difficult to justify the payback of a 16 SEER system vs a 13 SEER system then it was to justify the payback difference between a 13 SEER system and a 10 SEER system.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

prices

The cheaper equipment will always have these special pricing . And the higher end will stll cost more . We have no ideal of whats goin to happen because the equipment companys dont know themselves . The replacement market prices are goin to go up because of labor & more time on the job . Bigger coils are goin to be a problem in most cases . Drop your price to get a job & you might get burnt. I did a 4 ton 10 seer coil replacement this month & had to tear down the entire system & start over . With custom made sheet metal ( 250 dollars my cost ) the coil & the filter system plus the pvc venting . This house had a low ceiling and the 10 seer coil just did fit . The new construction market prolly wont be effected as much . bh
    My avatar is a picture of a Goodman Silencer .....These were commonly used in Goodman country ....Photos by hvac tech ( PaysonHVAC )