Thread: noise 80 vs 90

I am looking to replace furnace and add air. I can get 80% Trane (XV80) or 80% Lennox (G60V) or 96% Amana (AMV9)for about the same price. I have read that Trane is the best with Lennox coming in second. However, I am worried about noise level with the 80% units-these are all 2stage, variable speed. I have also read about Amana being part of Goodman and how these units are not as reliable. I believe all three contractors are reputable. What is my best bet with noise? We live in a split where the furnace is right next to where we watch tv. We already have to turn up the volume with our unit that is 20 years old and I hear the 80% units are louder that my old one. Please help

I installed a Amana 96 % in my home with a matching 16 seer coil and 410 condenser. I don't even know when it comes on or off. I hear the t stat click thats about it.You would be happy with just about any brand that you have stated provided you get a good install.I have installed at least 10 systems with the high end Amana stuff. Have not run across a problem with noise.

Don't both the 80's and 90's use basically the same draft-inducer and inshot burner design? This is what makes most of the noise in these furnaces.

The blower in the both the G60V and XV80 is almost inaudible with the right ducting.

Condensing furnaces are quieter due to the sealed combustion with the solid panels. The Amana furnace is Amana technology. Goodman has used Amana technology to better its products and Goodman marketing to better its sales. Even the Goodman condensing furnaces are now being manufactured at the Amana plant in Fayetteville, TN.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Something fishy if you can get an Amana 90 for the price of a Trane or Lennox 80.

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    Condensing furnaces are quieter due to the sealed combustion with the solid panels.
    That's good to know. Those inshot burners are much noisier than the old natural draft burners, so anything that makes them quieter is a good thing.

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    Something fishy if you can get an Amana 90 for the price of a Trane or Lennox 80.
    there is probably a flue liner involved. i've been able to run the pvc intake/exaust for a 90 at a lesser price than an 80 and a flue liner.

for the OP:
    if it is a flue liner issue, make sure they do not leave a water heater only, in the flue. this can create the same problem as an 80 without a liner.

the flue liner will depend on local codes and existing venting of the appliances.

good luck