Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by hvacker
    I was in SAC on B47's. I remember a story where a tech during preflights liked to turn on the 20mm canons in the tail and follow the guards around with them. That can get spooky because a person can hear the drive motors as the guns move. And ya the tdy's were great. GB, Spain, Labrador
    OK, you guys are confusing me. B47's didn't have electronic to operated the rear weapons. And the original 52's didn't either. It wasn't until the 80's or so that the AF got rid of the enlisted guy sittin in the back and turned the tail all electronic.

Am I right or what?
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

I just spent an hour, talking to a buddy in Iraq. His real war time mission is working on the "dash 39" package units, and the portable walk ins... (and also dodging the occasional mortar round). When I retired 3 years ago, our peace time Prime BEEF training had pretty much gotten out of the RRR routine and started heavily training on erecting the new type shelters...and then setting up the heat and/or A/C in them.

Originally posted by DeltaT
    Originally posted by hvacker
    I was in SAC on B47's. I remember a story where a tech during preflights liked to turn on the 20mm canons in the tail and follow the guards around with them. That can get spooky because a person can hear the drive motors as the guns move. And ya the tdy's were great. GB, Spain, Labrador
    OK, you guys are confusing me. B47's didn't have electronic to operated the rear weapons. And the original 52's didn't either. It wasn't until the 80's or so that the AF got rid of the enlisted guy sittin in the back and turned the tail all electronic.

Am I right or what?

Don't know about the 47's way before my time, the 52's started switching in the 80's to automated gunnery as a testing fit-out, it wasn't adopted in total till sometime in the 90's.
    I believe that there not used anymore.

[Edited by bobby7388 on 08-03-2005 at 09:30 PM]

I stoped in at my old SAC base a few years back and sitting on the front lawn of headquarter is a B52 on display as an antique. Man, did I feel old at that moment.

Interesting enough some of the controls and A/C equipment was still in place and working that I have worked on 30 years previous.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.

I could be wrong but my recollection is that the first B-52 with electronic gun systems was the G model, then the H. All others were manned from the tail section. And all the guns were 50 cal.'s until 20mm Gatling's were used beginning with the G model.

Any former 462's out there able to speak to this?
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Originally posted by bootlen
    I could be wrong but my recollection is that the first B-52 with electronic gun systems was the G model, then the H. All others were manned from the tail section. And all the guns were 50 cal.'s until 20mm Gatling's were used beginning with the G model.

Any former 462's out there able to speak to this?
    Not being a tail gunner but having put in my hours by the sound of 8 engines tearing by me on the flight line, I believe you are right. The G model was the first one with the larger tail too. After that all the models had electronics and no more poor enlisted guy facing backwards.

Did you know the first 52 was built in 1948 and the majority of them were still flying in the 90's I believe?

Hey, Delta, you were a "SAC-trained killer" (), too? Where were you stationed? What was your AFSC?

Yeah, I think the first production model came out in 1952. And BTW, did the B-47 have a tail gun? I don't recall that they did.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

Proud member of KA Club

bootlen
    I was at Fairchild 66 through 70 in 92 CES and was a 45550 refer guy as they called us.

We did a lot of work on the flight line and all the secret places above and below the ground, lots of electronics labs, critical temp labs, etc all of which are now gone so that is why I speak of them, know what I mean?

And you?

One more thing...a buddy of mine names Silvernail in the electric shop, we are still in touch, wrote a song called SAC Trained Killer, I've got a copy he sent to me for my birthday which is also his birthday, a few years back on my computer if you are interested.

At a commanders call during Christmas 1967 we were called up front to sing it..what they didn't know is Mike and me had been hitting Southern Comfort pretty hard so we sang like a couple of birds...but we wouldn't have known anyway.

[Edited by DeltaT on 08-04-2005 at 09:55 PM]

Im on active duty as an HVAC Tech stationed at Nellis AFB in Las Vegas and a member of 99th CES and Prime Beef, we still do RRR although its not the back breaking AM2 matting. Most of the mission today is in support of the Middle East and SW Asia, along with humanitarian efforts. -39 ECUs have been in the phaseout period for about 3 yrs with some still being used. It was replaced by the FDECU.

http://www.kecoindustries.com/UnitPa...specsheet.html

[Edited by playa759 on 08-04-2005 at 10:12 PM]

Anybody remember Scups ( as we called it , I think it was SCPS) training at Eglin AFB? The decontamination facility which slept 100 or so people. Chem warfare training in the Florida heat. Aah, the memories.

Originally posted by DeltaT
    bootlen
    I was at Fairchild 66 through 70 in 92 CES and was a 45550 refer guy as they called us.

We did a lot of work on the flight line and all the secret places above and below the ground, lots of electronics labs, critical temp labs, etc all of which are now gone so that is why I speak of them, know what I mean?

And you?

One more thing...a buddy of mine names Silvernail in the electric shop, we are still in touch, wrote a song called SAC Trained Killer, I've got a copy he sent to me for my birthday which is also his birthday, a few years back on my computer if you are interested.

At a commanders call during Christmas 1967 we were called up front to sing it..what they didn't know is Mike and me had been hitting Southern Comfort pretty hard so we sang like a couple of birds...but we wouldn't have known anyway.

[Edited by DeltaT on 08-04-2005 at 09:55 PM]
    ================================================== =========

Air Force could be a lot of fun at times.

June'67 to Apr.'75. 462 Weapons Tech. and 425 Inflight Refueling Spec. Dyess, Ubon, Nellis were my only 3 PCS bases. About a ton and a half of TDY's, though...all over the Pacific and one sole trip to Torrejon. I loved my job but hated the constant TDY's.

Proud member of KA Club

Originally posted by playa759
    Im on active duty as an HVAC Tech stationed at Nellis AFB in Las Vegas and a member of 99th CES and Prime Beef, we still do RRR although its not the back breaking AM2 matting. Most of the mission today is in support of the Middle East and SW Asia, along with humanitarian efforts. -39 ECUs have been in the phaseout period for about 3 yrs with some still being used. It was replaced by the FDECU.

http://www.kecoindustries.com/UnitPa...specsheet.html

[Edited by playa759 on 08-04-2005 at 10:12 PM]

FDECU. What a giant POS. Wonder what possessed the genius who designed that abortion to put a friggin 10lb computer brain with 2 dozen sensors in a HEAT PUMP with 134A that's gonna be dumped off a helo or a hummer/deuce/5ton in the middle of the friggin desert on the dang FRONT LINES OF BATTLE!!!!!!!!!!!

How 'bout that fiberglass volute that MUST BE replaced to retain it's NBC rating when one of those teeny molded-in temp sensors breaks off? Oh, never mind, it's on indefinite back order and it costs $5K anyway....

Hopefully, the -39 ECU will be like the A10 Warthog. They'll realize that sometimes old school is a good thing and keep it around....

OOOHhh. I remember the SCUPS training at Eglin. Never forget the mobile units of various sizes. All those field units. Never forget the first field unit I found out the hard way had an RFI filter on it. Got the living crap knocked out of me when I reached in the cabinet even though I had unhooked thecannon plug. Did'nt need coffee the reat of that morning!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast