Hmm

Many know that I am finishing building my addition over the garage. Additional 650 square feet - extended both the master bedroom and the kids room. What the HVAC guy did was take the supply ducts off the MBR and made sort of like a main trunk line into the addition. Then, he created branches off that main extended trunk line and fed the new parts of both rooms. I felt the pressure coming out of the old supplies vents today - felt normal, fairly strong flow of air coming out of them. Then, I felt the air coming out of the new supply vents - much lower pressure. Is that normal or should they be the same pressure as the old ones?

I'm cooling the space now but its nightime and I'll see if the entire room is cool in the morning.

If the system wasn't oversized to begin with, you will have problems.
    600 square ft. is qite a bit of a new load.
    Where do you think the extra airflow is coming from?
    Its coming from the vents that it used to supply.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    If the old sytem had extra capacity,and th duct was sized and installed correctly,you'll be fine.

An addition almost always makes an old exterior wall/window an interior one,which reduces the load in that room.

Was the extended ducts from the MBR the ones originally dedicated for that room? If tey were 6 inch round ducts they will only handle the flow for 1 register if they extended them to now handle additional flow thats a problem.

When did the size of a duct start dictating how many registers it can feed?

Originally posted by mxylplik2
    Many know that I am finishing building my addition over the garage. Additional 650 square feet - extended both the master bedroom and the kids room. What the HVAC guy did was take the supply ducts off the MBR and made sort of like a main trunk line into the addition. Then, he created branches off that main extended trunk line and fed the new parts of both rooms. I felt the pressure coming out of the old supplies vents today - felt normal, fairly strong flow of air coming out of them. Then, I felt the air coming out of the new supply vents - much lower pressure. Is that normal or should they be the same pressure as the old ones?

I'm cooling the space now but its nightime and I'll see if the entire room is cool in the morning.
    There should have been equal or larger capacity "Return Air" ducting from those rooms back to the blower.

http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b...g_systems.html