Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The Wall

James, beautifull pictures. I thank you for the encouragement but I have made a lot of effort to push that era to the most rearward portions of my mind and I'm not sure I want to resurect those memories. That was a very difficult time in my life and I still have certain problems that I'm doing my best to deal with.You are right about the people on the wall deserving the utmost respect but the guilt aned sadness are at times overwhelming. It could be a cathartic experience for sure and maybe I'll be ready for that someday. For now,maybe not.

I hope so. There are no memories in your mind you can leave behind. We all have them as a result of living along with the good ones. Some people just have not seen the bad **** like you have. Some people have. They will always be there. The bad memories in a bad way have made you a better person. Seeing the wall for me was saying thanks. Just think of it that way. Thank you for your service.

oops
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Originally posted by James 3528
    Thank you for your service.
    ================================================== ========

Yeah, Hal. Thanks. And I'm glad you're around to be able to talk about it.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

The Wall

beencool,I was a squad leader who was responsible for 12 guys. I actually knew none of these guys personally and prefered tO keep it that way but that's not how it really works. I knew every one of the altogether37 men in my squad, many of which are on that wall. Thier lives and futures were in my hands and I could not protect them from harm.I know that I owe all of these men a debt that I can never repay.Facing these men again is more difficult than you may know.

I had seen pictures of the Wall, and also in my mind as well I thought, how does a wall become a monument. I wasn't thinking artistically.

So when I got there to see it in person, it was just incredible. I sat there and just stared as I walked slowly trying sort out in mind what it really means. It's an emotional moment. Your grieve for them, but then too I am proud of them.

Hal,

God, fate, some higher power threw you all together at that time and place. That same higher power, not you, decided who would come back whole and who would not. The why of it all is beyond our power to understand.

[Edited by ozone drone on 08-05-2005 at 07:42 AM]
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Originally posted by ozone drone
    Hal,

God, fate, some higher power threw you all together at that time and place. That same higher power, not you, decided who would come back whole and who would not. The why of it all is beyond our power to understand.

[Edited by ozone drone on 08-05-2005 at 07:42 AM]
    Well said.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12