Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Johnson Controls Balancing software for Palm

Does anyone happen to have a copy of this? Maybe the original install media? We have a couple of older Palm (uses AAA batteries) handhelds that used to have the software on it, but when the batteries went dead, the program disappeared.

I think it was called VMA or something like that. The Johnson guy said that he could get us the laptop software, but he can't get the palm software, and that is what we prefer to use.
    NeonHomer
    BAS/BMS Technician/Computer Technician

The definition of cruel joke is when you start work in BAS, and you run into your old T&B employer on the job.

Hey neon,

You've got mail !

It is "vbt_1400", there is also a very old one called "Balancer" that only works on firmware rev B-12(not sure) and older. If you use that on fw B-15 or newer it really jacks up the VMA.

Buy more batteries !
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !

All opinions expressed are my own. Any advice provided is based on personal experience, generally accepted fact or publicly available information. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not a penny less !!

LOL... I got the mail... thank you very much...

Now I have to figure how to get the program onto the tech's Palm. My personal Palm needs a new battery, or I would just drop it on mine and then beam it to his.

I don't remember the the adapter that goes on the bottom of the Palm (that lets you plug into the stat) has a serial port on it to let me hook it to my computer or not. I don't think his has a SD card either.
    NeonHomer

The definition of cruel joke is when you start work in BAS, and you run into your old T&B employer on the job.

"Dang Balancers"

OK, if you are lucky you may be able to find a AS-CVTPRO100-0 or-1 that a Palm III c,x or e snaps into and that's all you need. The cable that goes to the stat is the grey coiled one with a RJ16 plug on both ends. You can get the pin out on the JCI web site.

If your not lucky, which it seems you are not, you will have to use either a AS-CVTPRO-2 (the big white box with the serial cable attached) with a 9 pin serial to Palm adapter and a Null Modem adapter .

If you don't have either you will have to buy the AS-CVTPRO300-1 and the same adapters that the AS-CVTPRO-2 requires. You are looking at about 4 C-notes .

Do you have the Palm software loaded on a PC ? If not you are sort of dead in the water.

Sound like you need some luck.

All opinions expressed are my own. Any advice provided is based on personal experience, generally accepted fact or publicly available information. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not a penny less !!

We already have a Palm (I think it's a Palm III) that connects to the JCI stats. That wasn't the issue.

The issue I had was that I didn't have a way to get the .PRC file you sent me onto that particular device. I finally coaxed my personal Palm back to life and loaded the VMA software to it. I am going to go over to the tech in question's house today and beam it to his Palm.

BTW - I like your signature..... "Wait! Explain to me, again, why YOU think a broken belt is a controls problem?" I get the same thing quite often... Why do they think a broken belt/broken fan is a TAB problem? LOL..
    NeonHomer

It is the "Last one to touch it" rule. Test and Balance and Controls guys are usually the last people they see in the building, therefore it must be one or the others responsibility/fault.

We always say "Everything is a Controls problem until we prove otherwise". In some cases we will verify the controls and and then simply say "it's not a controls problem, our stuff checks out" and then let the Mechanical guys find their own mistakes. I used to be nice and tell them what was wrong but even after I did that they would still "Throw me Under the Bus" the next time because they figured out I would take care of their troubleshooting for them. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I don't cover their butts any more. Maybe thats a bad attitude but sorry,STBT (sucks to be them).

A fellow T&B tech once told me "Test and Balance is also know as quality control. We find the stuff the other trades missed." Quite often I find stuff that wasn't done right or not done at all.

I've been the type to go directly to the sub in question to fix the issue, instead of going through the GC.

I have tried to learn as much as I can about my job, but try to learn some things about other trades as well. That way I can identify who to blame. The only trade I treat differently is control techs. I try to help them as much as I can when I can. This usually results in said control tech helping me out by resolving issues quickly, helping me out with more advanced software (Example, instead of using TAC's Workplace FlowBalance, I have Workplace Tech and Workplace Commissioning), and teaching me a little about the control system in question.

Of course I have my favorite techs...
    NeonHomer

Well, my Palm m130 died again, and I was due to get this other Palm loaded tonight.

Ended up having to copy the file to my Dell Axim X5 PDA, and then beam it to the Palm III that the tech needs.

The little box that comes with the package is a AS-CVTPRO100-0 or something like that. I thought it had a serial port for connecting to the Palm, but I was wrong. It is for connecting a PC to the t-stat or zone sensor.

Oh well... PDA loaded. Now I just need to get my hands on the JCI software for PC for my archive collection.
    NeonHomer

Which/what JCI software are you refering to ? The vbt_1400.prc is all you need to interface with the VMA1400's.

I can send you the "Balancer.prc" but you have to be Very careful with it. Most of the rest of the JCI stuff you have to buy a licensed copy.

I don't remember what the original software was that we had on that Palm. It might have been the Balancer.PRC file... I don't know... It was basically the same as the VMA1400, but didn't have the dual duct capability...

I will have to get with the tech &/or the control guy to see what software they are talking about.

I do want to thank you for all your help, though....
    NeonHomer

Is there any change I could also get the palm program from you?? Greatly appreciated.

Airh20,
    you've got mail.

Since that was your 1st post welcome....and ya owe me FIVE BUCKS !!!! JK

Works great, just put it on this morning. Thanks a bunch!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast