Thread: Does variable speed furnace much quieter?

Post Likes
    Where I can by variable speed furnace 40000 btu around Chicago area. Does two speed fyrnace much quieter than single speed?

Post Likes
    It's hard to get a variable speed furnace with an output that low (on high stage), but a Trane XV80 can be had that puts out 48,000 BTUs on high. A Rheem modulating furnace

Two stage furnaces would be quieter mainly because they can run on low for most of the time, but be sure that furnace is sized so that the calculated heat load matches the HIGH stage. Otherwise, you've really just bought a very expensive single stage furnace that will only run on low (except when recovering from a setback).

A Rheem modulating furnace can run as low as 40% of it's rated output (versus 66% for a typical 2 stage), so that might also be a reasonable choice.

[Edited by JoeSix on 08-02-2005 at 12:14 PM]

Post Likes
    they are certainly quieter when on low I have the XV80 air handlers and they are very quiet on low, but just as noisy as anything else on high.

If you're having excessive noise problems check for proper mounting of the thing, and you can also purchase rubber feet to put it on or other even more exotic sound deadening stuff to put it on. Also make sure there is a vibration isolator in the ductwork. Or if the duct work is just too small it's going to be noisy as long the the proper amount of airflow is trying to get through.

Or such has been my experience.

Post Likes
    are you going to try and install this yourself? if not my e-mail is in my profile.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    If you want quiet,get tinner to install it with some flex!LOL

Post Likes
    that's a good one dash...

hell... if it's flex ANYONE can do it. i'll send my 11 year old over. she owns her own pink strap gun and could use some extra cash.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    Carrier 58MVP040

Post Likes
    sekal,

We have the Carrier 58MPV 060 and I don't even hear it most of the time. Just make sure you also put a 2 stage thermostat in charge of staging, it makes a big difference in that the furnace will run much longer in low stage. With the furnace doing the staging, it will run a MAX of 16 mins on low then kick into high. This is VERY important if you want a quiet furnace.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in