Problem with HW Heater Temp

The other day I had the water from the kitchen sink running hot and noticed that it was scalding. I measured it at 150 degrees.

I looked at the Weil McLain indirect HW Heater we have and the gauge was right in the middle as it always was. That's been somewhere around 120 degrees, I think.

If I turn the gauge up and down, I do hear the "click" of it calling for and not calling for heat. At the moment I have it turned 1/4 of the way and I'm not getting water nearly as hot as before, but the temperature is really fluctuating. For a few days now, I've been checking and I've gotten readings of 116, 125 and just now about 137, all with the dial set in the same position.

Is this an aquastat problem on the HW Heater or could it be something else?

I have a Weil McLain oil boiler paired with the HW Heater.

Any ideas?

Have a plumber take a look at the mixing valve at the faucet,maybe,is that the only one your having a problem with?

Same at all faucets. Plus shouldn't the heater only make water up to 120 anyhow?

Did this just start?what are you measuring the temp with?I hve several ideas but no diy here,might want to call a plumber if its really a problem for you,good luck

Yes, I think it did just start. I'm measuring with a meat instant thermometer, but it should be pretty close.

My contractor who does plumbing too is around and can help (like replace aqustat, etc), so if you have any ideas, please do share and I'll bounce them off them.

what kind of water heater is it? Gas or electric? On an electric you normally have 2 sets of elements, you might have one setup higher then the other. If you are getting that much of a difference all the time even if the water heater has been sitting say all night, then there might be a issue, however it will depend on how long the hot water was used, and also the temp of the water coming into your house. You might have 140 degree water at heater and 70 coming in one time, and 65 another, if you have mixing valves you might get some difference because of that aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Paymemore View Post
    what kind of water heater is it? Gas or electric?
    Neither.

It's an indirect HW Heater connected to an oil boiler. Please keep the ideas coming.

Thanks!

Recently I've seen many electric water heater thermostat failures. Most all people noticed Scalding Hot Water before the unit tripped out. Seriously, any water heater can be dangerous. Call a Professional.

Also, if you read the Site Rules (most don't) This Is Not A DIY Site.
    Yes, I know I Shouldn't But I Just Can't Help Myself...

Sounds like a gas wh,but like we all said get your plumber out there,could be as simple as a dip tube,if it is elec youve got 240v there,dont mess with it,get your plumber

Oh, I'm not touching anything myself and my contractor is capable of piping a WH and replacing an aquastat, but I'm just trying to get an idea of what things to tell him to look at that it might be.

I'm still confused over the gas/electric thing and why you are asking that still. Isn't an indirect WH neither? It's just water inside a steel inner tank that has boiler water fed to an outer tank that heats up the water in the inner tank. No?

Is there really much else it could be other than a wonky aquastat? Is an aquastat even the most probable cause?

Get your plumber buddy

I've got that in process yes, but I'm also here to learn myself.

What am I misunderstanding with my questions? Isn't the indirect hw heater neither gas or electric?

You said you turned up the G.V/T-stat and you heard a call for heat?,get your plumber