Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi: I am new to this forum and looking to see if anyone has had the same problems I am having with two brand new 3 ton Carrier central air units. We had two 3 ton units installed in a 2800 sq ft older home complete with furnace assemblies with the variable speed fans. Within the first 3 weeks of operation we have had the dealer out 5 times due to them not being able to cool the house much below 79-80 degrees when set at 77-78 degrees. After 5 attempts(one was due to a blown fuse on the one unit)another was something to do with a valve not backseated properly..the units run practically 24x7, my July utility useage jumped 150% over previously highest month with two old 20 year old units.They now say both units have bad TXV's and they bypassed them with some sort of piston valve until they get replacement parts. Carrier said they had no replacement TXV's since the units are so new?Of course that makes no sense since I assume they are building them daily..but I find it strange that both brand new units have bad TXV's? Anyone else experience similar and what's the odds of both failing or is something else wrong and they are grasping at straws to solve the cooling issue?

Need Model numbers of equipment installed.
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    What city/state are you in?

Can you post the model/serial numbers of all equipment?

TXV's can be damaged on install,not saying they did,but happens far too often.

Air flow poroblems due to high Static(resistance) can be the the problem as well,sometimes get diagnosed as bad TXV ,by mistake.

Carrier 38TSA036 and 58CVA050116 3.0 Ton SEER of 15 if that helps.Heavy duty units with the variable speed fans.

oh..and Litchfield Park Arizona is the location of the home and units in question.

Thermidistat or Infinity Controller,Thermostat,or other?

What tonnage did you have before?

3 ton units before..very old & very small phsically compared to the new Carrier units..one was a Trane and one a Rheem I believe and mismatched furnaces and parts.the outdoor units were postage stamps compared to the new Carrier units.Infinity series I believe is the new units..I don't have the papers with me at the office. they have electronic thermostats..no humidifier system..

What evaporator coil or they matched with?

Was the ductwork replaced or sealed?

You have the Infinity Control?

Dash that model Carrier is a 2-speed correct? I hope they forced the condensers to stay on high with only a piston.
    "Football Season again finally"

Where is furnace located?( ATTIC/CRAWLSPACE) How good is airflow ? Check all vents and if the furnace is in attic check for loose duct.

The furnaces are in closets..one in the garage the other in a closet on the opposite side of the house..the same location as the old furnaces..Carrier put new matching furnaces in both locations..the old 3 ton units worked fine albeit they too ran a lot but they were nearly 15-20 years old and pretty tired looking..these seem to have a manufacturing defect in that they never worked right out of the box and the air was never all that cold..the dealer said something about the pressure not right on the TXV's and not pulling in enough Puron to cause the units to be cold enough thereby they run non stop and barely keep the house at 80 degrees..my fear is that with the 5 service calls already these things are going to be my worst nightmare and I paid top dollar for them and we have only used them for a month..looking for suggestions or should I wait on the replacement of the TXV's and hope for the best..not a good way to start out with brand new installations..!

We have installed hundreds of them,I doubt there's a mfrs. defcet,the best of us cause most of the problems.It could be the TXV's are the wrong ones,damaged on install,air flow problems with the old duct sytem,etc..

Don't panic,they likely get it right,just unfortunate that you have to wait.

Carrier Problems

I hope so. They are supposed to be here yet this week to install the new TXV's and we are hoping that it solves the problem and things smooth out. It panics me when you have two brand new units installed and they require 5 service calls in 3 weeks, have not worked right from the day they installed them and drove my utility bill into the stratosphere!We contemplated this to be an "improvement" and something that will last for the next 10 years or so..not a good start but we will see. We had options of Trane or Lennox and chose Carrier. We are hoping we didn't make the wrong choice right now. TX all.

give your contractor a chance to make it right. I am sure he is stressing because of the heat and work load all or most AC guys have with the heat. I would get a little tuffer if after the txv's when in things did not improve. Did you guys go over your ducting perhaps it's air flow. is that a possibility.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast