Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi I have central air conditioning that I believe is not cooling quick enough. Last night when it was already dark (no sun) I started air conditioning and it took 2 hours do decrease house temperature by 2 degrees C or 3.6 Farenhite (From 29 to 26C or from 84.2F to 80.6F). I have new Carier furnice so my blower is working good but I do suspect that air that comes out is not cool enough. I do realize that my unit could be udersized for my house, but is there anything else I should look at? Like should I measure (how?) temperature of coming out air? What should it be? My airconditioning is I believe 2 or 3 tons (not sure). It is about 3 years old.
    I am located in Toronto, Ontario.

Thanks for your recomendations in advance.

What was the temperature outside at the time? What kind of temperatures did the house see during the day? Was the AC not running during the daytime?

As has been mentioned, an AC first removes humidity for the most part before really lowering the temperature. Depending on conditions, 2 hours to bring the temperature down 4 degrees is not necessarily abnormal. If it was hot that day, the house still holds the heat even though the temperature may be dropping some outdoors.

Temperature outside at the time was about 26C or 28.8F
    During day temperature outside was 32C or 89.6F. AC was not running during day as noone was home. It was quite humid last night, so you suggestion about first removing humidity is most likely right. But still 2 hours to lower house temperature seems high. Even before I noticed that during hot days my air conditioning is running non stop and cannot keep temperature set on thermostat.

(oops - nevermind)

[Edited by JoeSix on 08-02-2005 at 10:28 AM]

Hi: I see you are experiencing similar to what trouble we are having with two new carrier units..the air was not cold enough and both units were running 24x7 and still not cutting it till it got into the wee hours when the outside tempratures dropped significantly. The dealer is saying the TXV is faulty from the manufacturer and not taking enough Puron(coolant) into the system and thereby not making the system cold enough. They have ordered new TXV's and bypassed them with some sort of temporary solution until they can get them installed. The temp solution is working(albeit not efficient) but is now cooling the house down to 77-78 degrees.You might have similar faulty units??

2 hrs is a pretty short time to expect a system to drop quickly from those temps. Leave the a/c on during the daytime and see what the temps are. Also check to see what the temp drop accross the coil is or if not possible what temps are coming out of the registers and entering the return. Difference will give you an idea of what the unit is doing. Remember if you let everything in the house get really warm it will take a long time to bring down the temp. Keep it cool and don't go for big temp swings. Limit it to 2 or 3 degrees differential.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Hi again,

I tested temperatures of air out of register and it is 18C or 64.4F. At that point temperature in house was 29C or 84.2F. So would you consider 20F differece reasonable?

yes, central air is not a window unit you turn on when you go in room. pick a temperature set it there and let the unit do its job.

Whish I could get 4 deg in two hours

vm

yes 20 degre delta t( difference in return air and supply air ) is what I try to obtain with new installs. Yurs seems like it is working, but there are other factors that can cause delta 't' to be good while still having problems.
    Having said that, and yur response as to the size of the system being small, I would guess that yur system does not have the capacity ( nor the amount of air flow ) to effectively cool yur home.

first clean or change you filters
    next set it and forget it see what it does over a few hot days

remember if it has been hot all day EVERYTHING needs to be cooled down because the walls, ceilings and even furniture will radiate heat back out to the air till it all cools down

We had a record high temperatures here in Toronto this summer, so that is why probably I do have some issues with cooling. We also have some issues with power supply where our government asked us to conserve energy or we will have to face rolling blackouts. So I try to do my part and have air conditioning off when I am not at home. Last night I setup thermostat to start cooling at around 3:30pm and just at around 11pm it reached set point of 27C. Outside temperature was around 33 during day and around 27C evening.I left air conditioning ON today during day and I most likely when I'll come back I should not have any problems.
    I realized that I am just a bit paranoid, but from your feedback I understood that most likely my system works just fine.
    Last year I got installed brand new Carrier infinity furnace and had lots of problems. You guys from this group helped me to understand many things and I forced installer to fix them. As I got so much help here before, I though I'll make sure that my air conditioning system works fine.
    Thank you very much everyone for answers. I really appreciate your help.

It is called "Hot pull-down". Normally it takes 24-48 hrs for a "Hot pull-down" to bring temp. down.

Suggestion: since you have a new system, I assume you've gotten a programable T-stat. Simply set the temp. during the day at 26 C and at 5 pm at 24 C,

You may still have some other problems with the A/C, but try this one first. The idea is to have the A/C working during the day from time to time and it'll remove the humidity, which happens to be the biggest job the compr. has to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast