Lightbulb

Wow, I came across this website and I think it is so interesting and entertaining to read. I'm not an HVAC person but like everybody else, my life is affected by it. So now I am very interested in what I have. I bought a brand new house in 1992 which came with a "Trane XE 1000 airconditioner" mated to a " Trane XE 78 gas furnace" and a "Trane XE 1000 Weathertron heatpump" for the second level. What do you guys know about this generation, what innovations did it bring, what was so good or bad about it, why was it discontinued, and what is the SEER? All 400 homes in the neighborhood have this equipment and everybody seems to still have it, which means it's pretty good I guess?:-) With warm regards, James

The XE78 is essentially the same furnace as the current 80% line except for an older, more reliable control. The XE1000 is similar to the XB10/XR11 still made. Back then, A-S/Trane was bulletproof.

Loonie;
    Your "back then" comment, leads me to belief that you believe the current generation is not a reliable. If so what are the most reliable now days?
    gn

I've run warranties through on SO MANY of the Intellignition boards I can't call them reliable. But then I don't think competitors are that much better these days. Back in the 90s until the new board and the Mexican production of the Climatuff recip, odds were when we put in an A-S unit, we would not be back. All of the techs pushed them to customers, now none do. They usually mention no brand, just tell customers to buy the longest warranty they can get.

I'm glad we never sold any Trane XB or XE/XR furnaces, I find bad boards in those all the time.
    We only sell the XL and XV lines, havn't had but a couple of of the 2 stage or varriable speed control boards die that were not directly caused by lightning.

As much of a problem as Trane has had with those boards in the XB and XE equipment, it ain't nuthin compaired to the nightmare Lennox went through with the boards in thier G24 and G25 furnaces, lol.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

What board do those Lennox models use? I know the SureLight is an Intellignition and I heard via the Lennox/Armstrong grapevine they had plenty of trouble too.

Do you do much 90s or are all your XVs 80s? We had nightmares with the XV90 inducer til they moved the control to the main board.

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    What board do those Lennox models use? I know the SureLight is an Intellignition and I heard via the Lennox/Armstrong grapevine they had plenty of trouble too.

Do you do much 90s or are all your XVs 80s? We had nightmares with the XV90 inducer til they moved the control to the main board.
    The Lennox G24 and G25 origonally used a Ram Controls direct spark ignition board, the replacement Heathcraft boards are much better.

We don't do any XV90s down here, just no payback whatsoever on them. Lota XV80s with XL19i for cooling though.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

trane,carrier, lenox.goodman. and even a lot of off brands
    forgot rheem to have had problems with thier boards and to just pick on one brand isnt fair at all. since the boards first came into service they have improved a lot but all of them still have problems. most seem to burn out on the blower relay on the back of the printed circut. seems the printed circut has a problem handling the amp draw
    just my opinion