Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    And at this point, that's what we are going to do.

But with the issue now also being the coil, we aren't paying for the diagnostic visit, and the repair of the coil, of course.

They are running pressure through the line set behind the wall again and will be back to see what results.

Lennar said they will open the ceiling for free. If we find that there is a drywall nail in the line, we'll pay for that and we have to close the ceiling ourselves. If not, then they will. So that's fair.

There might not be an oil stain because of the blown insulation that's up there which could absorb the oil before it penetrated the drywall. The blown insulation is also the reason we can't just run a new line set.

I'm a little slow at times so if you would , please explane to me why the HVAC contractor will be the one to have to take the loss for a leaky line when he had finished his work and had leak free system when he was finished

Is it because you have a leake now and you arent about to accept the responsibility yourself. What are you going to do when they expose the line set and show you the nail hole that was put in there? and what are you going to do to prevent someone else from doing it again.

If it has been determined that the leak is somewhere after the condenser, it is not right that the HVAC contractor bear the cost but as long as it isnt you paying the bill , i guess you really dont care who has to pay for the mistake of your jailbird.

It is very easy to determine if the leak is in a joint and if it were, the leak check would have revealed it

Well, we don't know that the line was leak free when he finished. We Won't know until we open the ceiling that it was definitely a drywall nail that is causing this.

The builder is opening up the ceiling and if there is a drywall nail that is stuck in the line, then we will pay for a new line and pay to have the drywall put back.

If it's a floor screw that is stuck in the line, then the builder will have to pay the HVAC contractor and pay to have the drywall put back. (The builder put additional floor screws in after the HVAC was installed because we had floor squeaks.)

If it is a defective line and there is no indication that the damage was from the builder or our drywall contractor, then I guess it will be on the HVAC contractor.

But we are going to open the ceiling and see what is there and then determine.

The reason I had cause for alarm, was that very very early on the HVAC contractor was saying this was probably a drywall nail causing the leak and we had to pay. He was saying this based on very little info - before he'd done the isolation pressure testing - and it felt like he was prematurely finger pointing. Now after the isolation, he has found that the coil was indeed leaking, so we've established that there was fault on their part.

They are running another test on the line behind the wall and we may find that it was just the coil. In which case, the problem is solved.

ct2, the system was NOT leak-free. He just said they found a leaky coil. Clearly the HVAC contractor has at least partial responsibility.

This is a very simple matter. Just disconnect (at both ends) the line that runs through the wall. Pressure test it. If it leaks, open up the wall. You will either find a nail hole in the line or you won't. That finding will determine who is paying for it. End of story.

And next time you have drywall done, make sure all electrical, plumbing and other lines are protected with the 20 cent steel plates made for this purpose.

Exactly Dave - you got it.

And thanks for the advice on the steel plates. I will pass it on to my other neighbors who will be finishing their basements eventually.

Dave, You know - you'd think that the county would make those steel plates part of the code. Kind of surprised they don't. (I'm just assuming they don't, actually. Are there places where they are code?)

CT2

That's a pretty harsh reply mate. I am sure if I was a new home owner with a leaking hvac system I would be looking for reasons for the leak and responsabilty for it. If it is determined to not be the hvac contractors fault fine and dandy he gets paid for the repair. You know as well as I do that there are a lot of hacks in the industry who don't bother with leak testing or even evacuation on new installs. So this situation could have been going on from day 1 on the install. It is not until the system is tried out in the summer that any problem would be evident. I don't believe the HO is trying to push blame on the HVAC guy, I just think he wants the problem resolved. As far as the HVAC contractor he seems to be taking an awful lot of time to do a job that could be done in a short period of time. If he finds a nail in the line, so be it. If it is leaking at a joint then fix it and get on with life.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Hi Black Adder,
    And it was a younger guy who first showed up and was immediately talking about drywall nails and little else. Now there is an older guy with him who seems to be a little more thorough and is answering questions to my satisfaction.

I felt a little like the first guy saw the basement was finished and saw an opportunity to put it on someone else. But thanks to this forum I'm a little better educated now - I can ask them questions that let them know I'm no idiot, and I can work with them on plan that is fair to everyone.

As far as taking so long - they are working on new constructions in the same subdivision, so they are working us in between their installs. Luckily, my husband and I work from home, so we are here all day and we can accomodate that. Otherwise, yes, it would be annoying.

Frances

Frances, the steel plates are code in my area for electrical only. That's to prevent the electrician from causing the drywaller's death, assuming they are both stupid. For plumbing and other systems it's only property damage, so the reasoning is the contractors involved can just learn the expensive way.

Even though the codes only call for steel plates for wiring, on new construction and remodeling (when walls are being re-done/rebuilt) I put protection plates over every pipe and tube run. More than once I have found a moisture or mold problem was the result of a nail through a drain line.

paul

So - good news -it seems that the second pressure test on the line set is showing no leaks whatsoever, so it appears that it was simply the coil that was leaking.

The coil has been fixed and they are reattaching everything and recharging for me. And hopefully, I'll have a nice cool house in just a bit.

Thanks for your help everybody!

Frances

Thank's for sharing this with us. I feel I have learned something on this type of situation, and how to handle it better if I come across something similar.

I would not go with the guy that gave out phone # for reference's! This is a pretty sleaze ticketed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast