Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Was at a customers home the other day (500,000+ homes in the neighborhood). Decided to look in on another co's install on a new construction home. This is what I found---

Nice return duct.

Ever heard of using wyes?

Thought that this took the cake though - how much less could you care about your work?
    If we didn't do this what would we do for fun?

perfectly good waste of stupid

Try to find things that are right with the system. At least the b-vent goes all the way to the furnace.

Thats bout it though lol.

HA HA they put the return flex high so you could walk in there, but parked a boot slam in front of the furnace?
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Wow, look at that. Looks like the duct is sealed fairly well.

They even hung the unit with metal strapping...then strapped the drain pan to the unit.

I hate wyes, but I hate spider webbing more.
    Get back to work.

That water heater is classic. Same company do that?
    Get back to work.

Thats actually an above average new construction install compaired to most here in the DFW area in Texas, lol.

The biggest problem with that install, as far as the operation of the equipment goes, is the drasticly undersized return.

I would hate to have to try to ballance that system. It looks like they have all the ductwork coming off 2 sides of the supply plenum, kinda hard to get even distribution that way. If they used all 4 sides, or even 3 sides, so they could tie all the ductwork in evenly, the distribution would be fine.

Radial duct systems are ugly, but they work. That system needs a longer supply plenum though, at least long enough so no ductwork is tied into the first or last foot of the plenum.

If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

is that duct tape on the b-vent ?

Originally posted by mark beiser
    Radial duct systems are ugly, but they work. That system needs a longer supply plenum though, at least long enough so no ductwork is tied into the first or last foot of the plenum.
    I agree, only with experience of having to do that to a particular system in a new home...and because they haven't complained about it not working efficiently.

We had to take all of the supply runs from the end cap and one side of a two foot supply plenum in the upflow position, inside a closet. I hated to duct it in that way and had no choice, but was dreading the day they would call because the area didn't cool or heat well. It's since been two years with no complaints.
    Get back to work.

Actually that is the way Mcdonalds does their ductwork on their rooftop units.they dont even use a plenum box.They just screw a piece of sheet metal on the bottom of duct opening and cut in about a dozen spin-in take offs. i should take a pic of one i was on recently. IT was a friggin joke. Two of the 12" flex ducts had blown off due to an unbelieveable ESP!

[Edited by lowtemp on 08-01-2005 at 08:59 PM]

Dont know if the same co did plumbing on this job, just kinda stood out when you came through the attic access. Made me laugh out loud so I thought that ya'll might enjoy it.

No tape on the b-vent as far as i remember.

Mark,
    You are correct about the quality of the job. I have to do this type of work everyday, but at least I try to make sense of everything before just slapping some collars and duct in and getting paid. I have to stay on my guys about the quality of their work, I think they are finally getting the picture though.

Square,
    You actually ram-aired a plenum? No complaints - you are lucky. Bet you can hear the air comming out of those vents.

Hope ya'll enjoyed our wonderfull world of flex duct and illegal workers.

Boy, I am glad we got basements.

Originally posted by mayguy
    Boy, I am glad we got basements.
    We actually got to work in a half basement, the other half was 12"-14" crawlspace. I need to take pictures of this basement for you though, looks like an electrical bomb went off and imbeded wire in the ceiling. I will have to go over there soon and will try to remember pics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast