Had PSEG come check out my furnace in the basement that has been leaking water. They said the coil is shot and they refused to change the coil - they said they would only replace the unit because changing the coil was a temporary solution. They gave me an estimate of $6800. My two questions are if the coil is shot and the unit is a bit rusted - is it worth it to replace the coil now? Also - if I do replace the entire system - is $6800 reasonable? I have a 1700 sq ft two story colonial (plus basement).

Any advice is appreciated!

johnny

Call someone else !!
    Doubtful, coil is shot if just leaking water. probably rusted out drain pan.
    How old is unit ?
    Sounds to me like you got hold of company that likes to do replacements - not repairs.

Richard

"Sounds to me like you got hold of company that likes to do replacements - not repairs. "
    I agree with bornriding, call another company out.

Doesn't anybody like to fix things anymore?

Oh, that's right... it takes knowledge to actually fix things!

There are techs out there that can't or refuse to find the problem, so they go the easy way out, change out, unless the unit is very old and not worth fixing than I beleive you fix it instead of changing it out, there are companies out there that only want to make the easy money.

i just replaced a coil on a trane system with a high eff trane coil. the condenser was in good shape for 12 years old and serviced every year. if it were to go bad the condenser can still be replace later down the road. to tell some one the intire system needs replacing is not repairing it is selling.yes they would have been better off in the long run replacing it all but cant afford to right now. the key to me is do you put a gun to thier head or give them a choice.
    call a contractor they will give you the choice. then you decide what you want to do

thanks for the info! I'm going to call a few more people to see if someone will fix it. The unit is 18 years old - but if I can get another few years out of it - that would be great.