Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi Guys,

I have a Goodman GMP125-5 with a B1809913 controller board and the fan won't shut off. The AC works fine. The only way I can get it to shut off is to unplug the AC. I have checked all the wiring and am ready to recommend a new controller PC board. Any other suggestions?

Tucson

Unhook the G terminal from the unit, to see if blower continues to run.

If so, you're on the right track.

dfly

Have you checked fuse on control board - if blown, some will cause blower to stay on. Also, high limit may be tripped, will also cause blower to stay on.

Richard

Could be the board or the thermostat. As mentioned, remove the wire to the "G" terminal or green wire going to the board. If it still runs, it's the board.

Now, what caused the problem? It most certainly could just be a board that has reached its natural limit, but it could also be something going on that has affected the board.

Do you have a power stealing thermostat? (Would be a digital thermostat with no common wire from the furnace transformer to power it.)

Does the return ducting enter the bottom of the furnace, both sides of the furnace or only one side of the furnace?

What is the size of the home that this thing is heating? (This is quite a large furnace)

What tonnage cooling system is being used?

All of these factors could be causing premature wear on the controls.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Fuse is good and fan still runs with G lead removed from contoller. I will take a good look at the back side of the board when I remove it. It would not be the 1st cold solder joint I ever found!

Thanks for the replies

Why don’t you call a professional to come repair your system? This is not a do it yourself site where you can get step by step instructions.

Read the rules.

If any of you are wondering, this is exactly why you will never be able to make a respectable living in this industry. And to even make it worse, you have the factory rep of the equipment contributing in helping a DIY’r repair their own equipment right here in front of our eyes even though it is against the site rules.

RoBo, you want to tell everyone here again how you are against internet sales, and how you support the industry, while you help take work away from a contractor wherever this guy is? This thread alone shows how you people at GoodDUMB don’t care at all about the contractors in this industry. Every time a DIY with GoodDUMB equipment needs help, you jump right in giving step by step information. It is pathetic. You might as well slap everyone on this board in the face and spit in our faces. I do not understand at all how all the contractors on this board just sit back and let this crap go on.

[Edited by madeinusa on 08-02-2005 at 11:02 AM]

Unbunch your pantyhose maiden! If you look closer at my post you will note that I have deliberately made a point that the problem could stem from just about anything. The purpose for that is to urge the thread starter to have a pro look at his system to find out what caused his problem.

Don't you know any other tunes?

1st of all I would like to thank the people who responded in a very polite manor. 2nd of all, I will be deleteing my account and this will be the end of this thread (by me anyway).

Now to respond to you "madeinusa", and unlike you I will actually try and follow the "rules".

"Why don’t you call a professional to come repair your system?"

That is exactly what I did at 8:00 AM this morning. (system started acting up at 10:00PM Sunday nite) This is someone with a very good reputation, but as you might imagine, it is 110 deg in Tucson and very humid in August. The earliest he can get here is on Wednesday PM. I have 6 children at home during summer vacation, as well as three cats, one dog and one chincilla that dies at about 85 degrees.

"This is not a do it yourself site where you can get step by step instructions."

If you go back and actually read my post you might notice that I was very specific with the model number of the unit as well as the model number of the controller with the exact problem. I also stated how I isolated the problem and what we (my professional) were going to do about it. I never expected "step by step" instructions. (per the rules by the way)

"Read the rules."

Ok, here we go (you asked for it)

"Who Is Welcome Here?

Anyone in the HVAC industry and home or building owners with HVAC/R concerns and other polite and fun people that are willing to contribute."

I am a polite home owner with a HVAC concern. (and can be quite fun I've been told) Guess that was a lie, seems I'm not as welcome here as the rules say.

"Feel free to ask any question relating to HVAC, or other topics of general interest."

Not after this kind of reply.

"At the same time, be polite and respectful in your answers. We welcome questions so please don't be critical of someone's question, or other member's answers."

I sure thought I followed this rule. Having a hard time seeing how you did.

"Any reply that we feel violates this rule will be edited or deleted."

I would have been completely understanding had the "moderator" felt that my post was inapropriate and left this list immediatly.

"All members must treat other members with respect. Anyone who posts defamatory, insulting or otherwise disrespectful comments towards others in the HVAC industry will find their posts deleted and possibly their posting privileges suspended or revoked."

Well, I guess you all will see if this one applies. (I won't be here to watch)

"HVAC-Talk.com is a moderated site. Moderators will delete and edit posts in an effort to keep the site free of flame wars, insults, crude language, advertising and off-topic replies. Please be polite and helpful in your replies and feel free to seek help without fear of undue criticism."

Oops! Guess you missed this one! "keep the site free of flame wars, insults, crude language, ..."

"You might as well slap everyone on this board in the face and spit in our faces. I do not understand at all how all the contractors on this board just sit back and let this crap go on."

"spit in our faces???" If this is how a "professional" in this "industry" thinks and talks to other people in a public forum, I can see how us "home owners" got the distrust that we have. If yours was the only response I received, it would have only reinforced the opinion we have of the "air conditioning" man that got $1,800 for the $3.00 capacitor.

I read the rules!!! I called a professional!!! I was polite!!! I hope I pass you on the side of the road in the middle of the desert at 12:00 noon in the middle of summer with a dead battery (with jumper cables in my trunk) so I can tell you to call a professional mechanic.

Respecfully, Tom in Tucson

Senior Tech Guest
    There are tactful ways to respond to other professionals on this forum. Madeinusa obviously is not privvy to the ways...I don't appreciate diy's being given step by step instructions either but I don't think that's the case here...call it gut feeling...but what I dis-like even more is dis-respect to those who would strive to assist another colleague in the field...madeinusa, take a valium and call us in the morning.

Don't take offense at the maiden, Tom. Maiden lost his wife and daughter to a Goodman salesman (both at the same time by the same guy) a few years ago and he has some issues to work out about it.

Seriously though, especially seeing where you live, ask the tech when he gets there about checking the heat rise on your furnace so you don't do more damage then just to the board.

And I agree, you were well within the rules and attitude of this forum.

Originally posted by RoBoTeq
    remove the wire to the "G" terminal or green wire going to the board. If it still runs, it's the board.
    Yeah Robo,I see how vague you are right here. We are not stupid here. If you don't call this detailed then you are ignorant. You know I know what your little game is you play here by trying to slide these little help sessions in for your people out in the field who do not know their ___ from the hole in the ground. The problem is, you are just building a card file for all DIY's to come here and find anything they need at the tip of the search button.

Thanks so much for respecting the people who provide you a paycheck.

Originally posted by senior tech
    There are tactful ways to respond to other professionals on this forum.
    I do not call someone a professional who continually breaks the rules here by giving detailed help in THIS are. It is a total disrespect for any contractor on this board.

Originally posted by dflybldr
    Now to respond to you "madeinusa", and unlike you I will actually try and follow the "rules".
    It is always SO convenient for you DIY’s trying to get free advice here to stop at RULE #1 and not read RULE #2 which states:

Do-It-Yourselfers - not here.

This site is for industry professionals and folks seeking HVAC/R advice and knowledge. Please do not ask for step by step instructions on purchasing, installing or repairing your own HVAC equipment, that is our job and our livelihood. We are generous, but not to a fault.

Questions of this type will not be answered and may be deleted.

Don’t let the door hit you in your rear on the way out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast