Need some help

Thread: Need some help

I apologize in advance for the beginner questions and not knowing the lingo but I have a forced air unit for heat and for A/C - it is about 18 years old as is the unit outside. I recently bought the house 4 years ago and haven't had any major problems with the unit.

The other day the outside unit shut off and I had an electrician fix the outside breaker and now it is blowing nice and cold again. However, since that time, the inside unit (furnace) has started to leak pretty bad out the bottom leaving about a 1/2 inch of water across a 5 foot stretch in my basement.

The PSEG technician said the leaking was normal and then upon calling him back, the same guy said "I'm not sure what the problem is, it could be a $50 issue or a $7000 issue" and left - so much for worry free service.

Just wondering if anyone can help me at least figure out where the problem is so I can stop the dripping and also if it sounds severe.

Also - how will I know when I should replace the unit (and also what do they cost)?

Thanks in advance!

Water is probably from the air conditioner evaporator coil usally on top of your furnace. Water leak is not good, could damage ELECTRICAL controls in the furnace. Water and Electric are a dangerous combination. Call the Heating and cooling Service Company in your area, Let them fix it.
    It may be as simple as a plugged drain or as bad as a coil leaking. If you need to replace a coil might as well compare the prices for replacing the system if it is 18 years old and water been leaking all over it.

Thanks for the response. How much (roughly) does a new unit cost?